How to add tool to toolbar [DONE]

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
d4nirod

How to add tool to toolbar [DONE]

Post by d4nirod » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:08 am

Hi all,

Trying out NC here on my never ending quest for finding a Mac equivalent to the much missed Total Commander for Windows...
(already gone through Commander One and CRAX). External tool configuration is the deal-breaker for me and NC seems to be good at that but for the life of me I cannot find a way to add any tool as an button to the toolbar, it this feature non-existent of I'm missing something?

cheers,

mike

Re: How to add tool to toolbar

Post by mike » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:13 am

d4nirod wrote: Trying out NC here on my never ending quest for finding a Mac equivalent to the much missed Total Commander for Windows...
(already gone through Commander One and CRAX). External tool configuration is the deal-breaker for me and NC seems to be good at that but for the life of me I cannot find a way to add any tool as an button to the toolbar, it this feature non-existent of I'm missing something?
Hi d4nirod, and welcome to the forum!
Well, toolbar is simply not customizable currently.
If you want to have some way to quickly access your tool - you can assign a hotkey to it.

d4nirod

Post by d4nirod » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi migun, thanks for the quick reply.
migun wrote: Well, toolbar is simply not customizable currently.
If you want to have some way to quickly access your tool - you can assign a hotkey to it.
Any plans to develop this feature in the near future?
Having keyboard shortcuts it's ok but since I have to switch everyday from using Mac at work to Windoze at home my head it's already messed up trying to remember all the different key combinations... :oops: a bunch of nice little buttons would do nicely in my case.

Typical uses cases for me are, for example, select two files or directories, one on each pane, and hit the diff button to launch comparison. Or select a file and launch checksum app to verify sha. Or select a bunch of files and hit zip app, etc. It would be very handy for all sorts of things...

Don't know maybe it's just me and Mac people are not in this sort of thing but productivity-wise I don't see any better way of doing this file juggling stuff, using the Finder for this it's a pain in the neck if you don't mid me saying so.

Cheers.

mike

Post by mike » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:29 am

d4nirod wrote: Any plans to develop this feature in the near future?
Having keyboard shortcuts it's ok but since I have to switch everyday from using Mac at work to Windoze at home my head it's already messed up trying to remember all the different key combinations... :oops: a bunch of nice little buttons would do nicely in my case.

Typical uses cases for me are, for example, select two files or directories, one on each pane, and hit the diff button to launch comparison. Or select a file and launch checksum app to verify sha. Or select a bunch of files and hit zip app, etc. It would be very handy for all sorts of things...

Don't know maybe it's just me and Mac people are not in this sort of thing but productivity-wise I don't see any better way of doing this file juggling stuff, using the Finder for this it's a pain in the neck if you don't mid me saying so.
I agree that fully customizable toolbar might be very handy, perhaps I will be able to devote some time for this feature, but (as always) - can't promise anything specific - TODO list is just endless.

mike

Post by mike » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:59 am

Hi d4nirod!

Well, in short - now toolbar of file panels is fully configurable (as well as internal viewer's one), and able to show icons for any external tool registered in Nimble Commander:
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 14.48.58.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 14.48.58.png (101.25 KiB) Viewed 9825 times
It will even show an external tool's hotkey in a tooltip :D

Will be available in next preview, coming soon.

d4nirod

Re: How to add tool to toolbar [DONE]

Post by d4nirod » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:29 am

Cool, I'll try it out as soon as it's available for download :D

mike

Re: How to add tool to toolbar [DONE]

Post by mike » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:43 am

It's already there, please check out the Previews section.