Cut and Paste within same panel [CLOSED]

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
bchuter

Cut and Paste within same panel [CLOSED]

Post by bchuter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi Mike

Ive come across an issue whereby i cannot select files/folders and then simply cut them and then move into a folder within the same panel and paste

The cut option is greyed out ?

I liked being able to do this, as i did not have to move to the other panel then browse to my location and move what i wanted.
This was just a quick way for me to move items to a folder one level up from where i am.
As seen below, i have some folders and files selected and one folder not selected. All i would like to do is hit CMD X then browse into my folder T
and CMD V to cut and paste the contents.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 18.45.11.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 18.45.11.png (139.38 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
Bradley Chuter

JayB

Re: Cut and Paste within same panel

Post by JayB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:18 am

Apple has never implemented Cut&Paste, and honestly they shouldn't. There is no Cut command in Unix/BSD/macOS, there's only Move, i.e. the correct & canonical operation is [CMD-C] (copy) in the source directory, followed by [ALT-CMD-V] (move) in the target directory. I believe the greyed-out Cut command should be removed from the Nimble Commander "Edit" menu. The only alternate solution I can see is an option for the user to enable (and re-disable) the Cut command with a tick box in NC preferences.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:59 pm

JayB is absolutely correct.
"Cutting" a large amount of data is a nonsense operation. You may fake on UI level, but generally this will only work in terms of copying and moving.
Why can't NC simply hide/remove this menu item?
This Cmd+X hotkey still works in simple UI elements - in edit boxes, for instance.

bchuter

Post by bchuter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:48 am

Thank you both for the response.

This makes perfect sense when you put it like that.
Im still sort of new to Mac and still very used to this concept of cut and paste from Microsoft.

But copy and move will achieve the same result for me.
Thanks for this guys!!
Bradley Chuter