"Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
Post Reply
warpkanal
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 pm

"Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by warpkanal » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:36 am

When using "Open with" with the mouse (either via the File menu or by right-clicking on a file in the file list) it works.
However when I assign a (non-conflicting) keyboard shortcut like Alt+Return, then just nothing happens on pressing Alt+Return.

rail4you
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by rail4you » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Alt + Enter is a default hotkey, it is "reveal in opposite panel". You can click the right corner "default" button to reset hotkeys.

rail4you
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by rail4you » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:37 pm

I set "ctrl+enter", it doesn't work. I think "open with" is a special function you can't set hotkey to use it directly.

warpkanal
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by warpkanal » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:23 pm

When I wrote
I assign a (non-conflicting) keyboard shortcut
, I meant that I made sure that it is not conflicting by removing conflicting shortcuts :)

rail4you
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by rail4you » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:22 am

warpkanal wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:23 pm
When I wrote
I assign a (non-conflicting) keyboard shortcut
, I meant that I made sure that it is not conflicting by removing conflicting shortcuts :)
When you click "open with" item in file menu, it does nothing too, this is not a hotkey problem.

I guess "open with" can't be used alone, it works when you select the application.

User avatar
mike
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 am
Location: Exeter, UK

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by mike » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:51 am

It's wrong that this menu item is listed in hotkeys in the first place.
Clearly you can't "execute" a submenu.
I'll figure out something to remove this conflict.

warpkanal
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by warpkanal » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:01 am

I find this option very useful as I tend to open files in some circumstances with a non-default application.
Would be cool if the keyboard shortcut would just produce the submenu list (just like e.g. the favorites shortcut opens a quick favorites list, the "open with" shortcut could open a list with the resp. entries)

rail4you
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by rail4you » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:57 am

warpkanal wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:01 am
I find this option very useful as I tend to open files in some circumstances with a non-default application.
Would be cool if the keyboard shortcut would just produce the submenu list (just like e.g. the favorites shortcut opens a quick favorites list, the "open with" shortcut could open a list with the resp. entries)
Check Menu-Command-Tools, Tools is a wonderful feature to help you open files with application, even more you can pass any commandline arguments or run terminal tools (vi, emacs). You can set hotkey or place your tools into toolbar.

External tools feature is more better than "open with", it is only in paid version, if you don't use it before, try it and you will love it.
Currently, external tools is not a part of "quick lists", but I have write feature request about it, I hope mike can add it in the future. If it is a quick list, you can use "ctrl+0"(any hotkey is ok) to open "tools menu", type some characters to filter the menu.

warpkanal
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by warpkanal » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:55 am

Yes I know the tools command and already use it.
External tools feature is more better than "open with"
I wouldn't say that, it's a different tool for different purposes. "Open with" is a list build dynamically by macOS itself for applications that are known to open the currently selected file (but are just not the default app for this filetype).
I don't want to manually rebuild that stuff (and maintain it as I install/uninstall software) in the external tools list :)

rail4you
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: "Open with" keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Post by rail4you » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:31 am

warpkanal wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:55 am
Yes I know the tools command and already use it.
External tools feature is more better than "open with"
I wouldn't say that, it's a different tool for different purposes. "Open with" is a list build dynamically by macOS itself for applications that are known to open the currently selected file (but are just not the default app for this filetype).
I don't want to manually rebuild that stuff (and maintain it as I install/uninstall software) in the external tools list :)
Even you can set hotkey of "open with", this way is still slow, you must choose the application using mouse each time manually.
The normal way is right click-left click "open with"-choose, this is good enough and your hand won't need to left mouse.

If a file opend by 2 or 3 applications, you can set default application easily in nimble commander:
When right click the file, you can press "alt" key to get more functions, for example, "open with" changes to "always open with".
This tip is in: http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1833#p1833

Post Reply