Strange copy/move & replace behavior (.app bundles) [FIXED]

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
JayB

Strange copy/move & replace behavior (.app bundles) [FIXED]

Post by JayB » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 pm

I noticed a strange copy & replace (overwrite) behavior, when dealing with .app bundles. (This might also apply to standard directories with files in them.)

When I mount a DMG from a developer with an updated app, I just hit CMD-C, and in /Applications I hit CMD-V. Then Nimble Commander asks me what I want to do, in this case overwrite the existing .app bundle. I can tick "Apply to all" on the left side, NC copies from the DMG, and the old bundle is replaced. Everything's fine.

What is not working is, when developers distribute their application in a zip or similar archive. I expand the archive, then the .app bundle is in my Downloads folder. CMD-C first, then CMD-ALT-V (move) in /Applications, but now NC does not provide the "Apply to all" tick box. And when I click on "Overwrite" anyway, I get an error message telling me that files etc. already exist at the location.

This is very strange, especially considering that copying & replacing from a DMG works just fine. Any ideas? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a move operation? But that would be weird as well, because move & replace/overwrite should be possible imho.

EDIT: Earlier bug, now fixed, but maybe related: http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=310

JayB

Re: Strange copy/move & replace behavior (.app bundles)

Post by JayB » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:30 pm

I just tested it, and it seems to be the case that the move operation is the culprit. NC supports replacing .app bundles when copying, but not when moving. (The "Apply to all" tick box only shows up when copying.) I believe this should be addressed/fixed in an update.

mike

Re: Strange copy/move & replace behavior (.app bundles)

Post by mike » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 am

Hey JayB, thanks for reporting!
Sorry for a late response, now I'm back online.
I confirm the issue, working on a fix.

UPDATE:
Done, the fix will be available in the next preview build.