Default file browser?

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
flips

Default file browser?

Post by flips » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Tried searching, but didn't really find if this was already answered:

Can I somehow set NC to be the default File Browser, such as "Reveal in Finder" would show the file/folder in NC instead of Finder?

If yes, does it work well?
(While using Pathfinder, I could set it to be the default file browser, but it was somewhat buggy, often would only show the folder, not the file, until I issued the command again ...)
flips 8-)

mike

Re: Default file browser?

Post by mike » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 am

You can try this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=234

flips

Post by flips » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks. It's still info.filesmanager.Files, even when the name is now Nimble? :)
flips 8-)

JayB

Post by JayB » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Sadly that solution doesn't work in every case. Some apps use AppleEvents or AppleScript or something, and actually call Finder specifically to reveal a path, and then Finder will activate. It's annoying. But in many scenarios it works fine.

You could always try to change Finder's Info.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices, i.e. DisplayName, BundleID, and then transfer those to Nimble Commander… NC would then be called Finder and have the Bundle ID com.apple.Finder, but I'm not sure if this wouldn't cause some slight problems down the road, so I'd vote against such a hack.

flips

Post by flips » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:42 pm

JayB wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:36 pm
Sadly that solution doesn't work in every case. Some apps use AppleEvents or AppleScript or something, and actually call Finder specifically to reveal a path, and then Finder will activate. It's annoying. But in many scenarios it works fine.
Yes, I guess all Finder alternatives will have this issue. :)
JayB wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:36 pm
You could always try to change Finder's Info.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices, i.e. DisplayName, BundleID, and then transfer those to Nimble Commander… NC would then be called Finder and have the Bundle ID com.apple.Finder, but I'm not sure if this wouldn't cause some slight problems down the road, so I'd vote against such a hack.
Yes, that would be a pretty cool hack 8-) , but a bit drastic ... :D (I think I won't go down that road.)
Also, I guess I will need Finder every now and then, as there's some plugins/addons integrated there (cloud providers, pCloud/Dropbox etc) ...
flips 8-)