Change scrolling behavior, scroll bars [DONE]

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
sasha

Change scrolling behavior, scroll bars [DONE]

Post by sasha » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:52 pm

In build 1491, scrolling with the mouse wheel (or touchpad) inside a panel currently moves the selection bar. Instead, it should rather scroll the panel's content (like e.g. in Finder) and not change the selection. Same goes for FN+arrow keys. They should also scroll the content, not move the selection (again, like in Finder).

While we're at it, some on-demand scroll bars for the panels and the terminal would be very useful.

mike

Re: Change scrolling behavior, scroll bars

Post by mike » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:32 am

Hi sasha,

Well, this wish is far more complex that it might be seen.
First of all - currently there're no scroll views in Files' panels, at all.
All this presentation/navigation logic works on-the-fly, without intermediate presentation in some table view, which is scrolled afterwards.
Even more, current invariant is that focused item (cursor) is alway visible, i.e. it can't be scrolled away.

This might change in the future but frankly I think there're more important tasks to do for now.

Mike.

darek

Post by darek » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:54 am

Yeah, I agree this sounds like a very low priority item. Files is made for keyboard control, so this should be the main focus here. Finder, on the other hand, is focusing on mouse and touchpad and doing a pretty good job with that already. Just IMHO.

sasha

Post by sasha » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for the technical insight, Mike, interesting stuff. I like Files' fast navigation performance. If including those ideas means lots of refactoring and worse performance, I prefer the current state.

Darek, I'm also mostly working with keyboard only :) But in my opinion that doesn't mean Files should ignore common mouse usability standards. If one offers mouse-scrolling, it should be scrolling the content like in most other programs. Having scroll bars on demand gives you an impression of how many entries there are outside of the panel, regardless if using mouse or keyboard.

Don't want to start a big discussion, Files is fine as it is. I wrote that entry after selecting groups of files in a 1000+ files folder where no masked selection was possible and using the mouse with current behavior was cumbersome.

-sasha

darek

Post by darek » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:43 am

Sasha, yeah, of course, not arguing here. I'm with you completely and it would be better to have proper mouse control. It's just that obviously it's a bit tricky to implement, so I was voting to keep it as a low priority. And man, you have large directories! ;)