"Add Folder to Favorites" menu [DONE]

Any wishes
sasha

"Add Folder to Favorites" menu [DONE]

Post by sasha » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:16 pm

A simple way to add a folder to Favorites (CMD-3) would be useful to me.

I am aware that Favorites are just taken from Finder's sidebar and can be managed there. That's ok for re-ordering. In my workflow, I often create a folder in NC, then in order to get it into the Favorites menu I have to open Finder, navigate to the folder and drag it to the sidebar. An "Add to Favorites" menu would solve that.

mike

Re: "Add Folder to Favorites" menu

Post by mike » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:27 am

Sasha,
I understand that such functionality should be useful, but I think it would be an overkill to hardcode it in main NC codebase.
IMHO it's better to wait a bit until external tools support will arrive - at that point such addition will be a matter of minutes.

darek

Post by darek » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 am

"external tools support" :D this sounds very promising!

sasha

Post by sasha » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Looking forward to it!

GuidC0DE

Post by GuidC0DE » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 am

It would be useful for me too! This is also because I can't access iCloud Drive folder from Nimble Commander fast. OS X has meta folder iCloud Drive that is not visible in Nimble Commander. Its location is ~/Library/Mobile Documents. It stores all app containers there. So documents container ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs can not be added to Finder's sidebar. So now it is not possible to access such folder fast in Nimble Commander.

mike

Post by mike » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:38 am

Hello GuidC0DE and welcome to the forum!

I have plans to add a fully-featured favorites/bookmarks manager, but it's not on top-priority list.

If you want to have a quick access to iCloud Drive backend, you can use a simple (and a bit hacky) workaround - just create a symlink to Mobile Documents and drag it to Finder's sidebar - it will not notice this fooling.
I just have tested this hack and it worked.

However, I have serious doubts about using these raw iCloud Drive backend on file:// level - AFAIK there're no guarantees of consistency when manipulating them directly.

mike

Post by mike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:31 am

Custom favorites list was introduced in v1.2.1: http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=231.