Progress bar improvements

Any wishes
sasha

Progress bar improvements

Post by sasha » Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm

The progress bar is nice for tracking the status of long-taking file operations like copying large files. In NC, I think it could be improved a bit.

Currently, the progress bar is only visible if the Tool Bar is turned on ("ALT+CMD+T"). Apart from the progress bar, the Tool Bar is pretty useless for me so I turn it off - I prefer only having the current working directory in the title without clutter. But then there's no way to track the status of file operations. Suggestion: add some textual information to the title after the directory, e.g. "(Copying file.dat 30%)" when there's a file operation going on and Tool Bar is turned off.

Also, the display is sometimes confusing. E.g., if one tries to delete a file w/out permission, there's a warning that can be hidden ("Hide"). Then, the progress bar goes to full 100%. If one clicks on detail view, a popup window opens and displays the same operation with an empty progress bar. See screenshot.
progress-bar.png
progress-bar.png (161.92 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
It would be also useful to add a keyboard shortcut to access the progress bar detail view that also works w/out the Tool Bar. Like Safari's "Show Downloads" ("CMD+ALT+L") behavior under El Capitan.

Thanks,
Sasha

mike

Re: Progress bar improvements

Post by mike » Wed May 25, 2016 3:50 am

Hi sasha!

Thank for interesting ideas - I didn't realize before that window title can contain some information regarding ongoing operations.
I like this one a lot.

Behavior presented on screenshot looks like a bug with some inconsistency between views/bindings, I'll investigate it.

Overall, I personally think that current state of Operations Bar is somewhat crappy and outdated, however, I didn't figured out a way how to transform it into something better. Keyboard shortcut to show operations details is easy implement although.

Mike.

sasha

Post by sasha » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:41 am

I resurrect the "Progress bar improvements" thread and add some thoughts I had in the meantime.

I only care for the progress bar when copying many large files. The progress bar in the tool bar itself is ok, showing the total amount of items to copy and the total progress. For more details, there is the "list" icon which opens a pop up window. It shows the same text, the same progress bar - only some (nice!) performance information is added. So to me, this window is pretty much useless.
nc.png
nc.png (70.64 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
I would like to see these changes made to this pop up window:

- show list of files (or queue) that are involved in the total copy process
- either remove successfully copied items from list or show that they are successfully copied (as a setting)
- show which item is currently copied
- show two progress bars: one for the current item, one for total process
- add keyboard shortcut

Some examples how this is done in other programs: Transmit and ForkLift have queues in the pop up window and individual progress bars:
forklift.png
forklift.png (79.47 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
Commander One (that I only installed for checking this feature, it still sucks) uses two progress bars (current file and total, like TC and others) and a queue in the pop up window.
cone.png
cone.png (234.04 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
It would be nice to see the pop up window improve in later NC versions. Thanks!

mike

Post by mike » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:18 am

Hi sasha!
I like these ideas.
Will get into this at some point.
Currently I'm rewriting a main UI from scratch and this can take a while.