Directory history dropdown [DONE]

Any wishes
achekulaev

Directory history dropdown [DONE]

Post by achekulaev » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:03 am

I'd love to have a shortcut that would pop-up Directory history for each panel (that one that I can now navigate with Cmd-brackets)

Example from Double Commander.

don

Re: Directory history dropdown

Post by don » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:44 am

I would possibly be interested in the feature as well.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:36 am

This sounds interesting.
However, there're already three different suggestions for that path line:
- make it editable, like in windows explorer.
(I think this is redundant, since we already have Go To Folder sheet by cmd+shift+g, with autocomplete and other fancy stuff)
- show a list of upper-level paths, like in MacOSX by right-click on window title.
- show a list of paths in navigation history.

The latter two looks similar, maybe they can be bound to different mouse clicks - left and right.
What do you think?

don

Post by don » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:34 am

- make it editable, like in windows explorer.
(I think this is redundant, since we already have Go To Folder sheet by cmd+shift+g, with autocomplete and other fancy stuff)
Exactly my thoughts.
- show a list of upper-level paths, like in MacOSX by right-click on window title.
- show a list of paths in navigation history.
My key interest is to have a keyboard shortcut to bring up the history that I could navigate with keys (up, down). Not only folder, but command history as well. Not so much just the folder history, as I can quickly navigate with cmd-shift-g. But again - just an opinion.

mike

Post by mike » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Ok, I'll work on such functionality together with upper-paths list.
Binding to some shortcut is not a problem, apart from that shortcuts are becoming countless... :)

achekulaev

Post by achekulaev » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm

migun wrote:The latter two looks similar, maybe they can be bound to different mouse clicks - left and right.
I understand it's (probably) harder but instead of "upper directories list" you could make parts of path clickable. Similar to ForkLift just without this fancy look :) Just like apply blue color + underline on hover of path part and clicking it would take to that folder.

mike

Post by mike » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:11 am

achekulaev wrote:
migun wrote:The latter two looks similar, maybe they can be bound to different mouse clicks - left and right.
I understand it's (probably) harder but instead of "upper directories list" you could make parts of path clickable. Similar to ForkLift just without this fancy look :) Just like apply blue color + underline on hover of path part and clicking it would take to that folder.

achekulaev,
There's one problem with this fancy control - "Classic" mode with textual-only presentation :)
I'd like to keep "Classic" and "Modern" modes similar in all core features, especially in navigation stuff.

darek

Post by darek » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:10 am

Oh, I've always wondered about this Classic & Modern thing you have going on in Files. I kind of get the sentiment, being raised on DOS myself, but it looks like something that might ultimately be weighing you down. I don't see much benefits of that "retro" mode and I don't use it myself. It seems rather limiting to try to narrow everything down to old school characters. I'm using a file manager to get Mighty Power™ and everything that aims for fancy looks without adding power goes against that philosophy. This is a tool for real men to do real job, dammit ;)

Anyway, if you ever find yourself wondering whether extra work of maintaining these two looks is worth it, I'd say it definitely is not :) Better add more power and scrap the fancy-schmancy sentimental retro looks. That's for hipsters! ;)

mike

Post by mike » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 am

darek,
These words are quite reasonable, but I think a lot of Classic mode users would be against such reasoning :)
There're in fact not much situations where different presentation modes becomes a huge headache.

achekulaev

Post by achekulaev » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:38 am

In classic Mode on hover you could just change font color of hovered part of the path to white. It wouldn't break the style I guess