Some ideas

Any wishes
d0ublezer0

Re: Some ideas

Post by d0ublezer0 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:17 pm

d0ublezer0 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:04 pm
Let's dig a little deeper: When copying or moving through F5/F6 - same buttons can also be used to select the file name for faster renaming
I expected: When dialog box appears, i pressed F5 (when copying) or F6 (when moving) again:
As i know - Total Commander have this ability for all copying/moving operations for single file
how about this idea? it is planned? :roll:

d0ublezer0

Post by d0ublezer0 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Hello! It would be cool to be able to specify the file name when copying.
After all, it already works. You just need to add a file name to the field when opening the dialog.

Otherwise, we have this situation: we need to copy the file to a new location, then rename it. Maybe it's normal. But sometimes this is impossible - such file exists in the destination folder and can not be overwritten. It is necessary to copy with a new name. For this you must first make a copy with a new name next to the source and then copy it to a new location.

JayB

Post by JayB » Thu May 04, 2017 11:10 am

^ Standard procedure would be to define the destination name before copying, as with

Code: Select all

cp filename1 filename2
so I definitely second this idea. :)

mike

Post by mike » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:43 am

An update here: I'm currently working on a notifications support.
NC already shows messages upon operations completions, however I'm not sure about default settings for them.
I want to set a threshold for a minimum elapsed time that an operation took before showing a notification.
If this value is too small then these notifications will constantly spam and only disturb, if it is too big then they'll show only occasionally.
A range of 30s-1m looks appropriate, but it'd be great to hear any other opinions.

hugo187

Post by hugo187 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:00 pm

I think the notifications should be displayed only when NC is in the background. There's no need for them when NC has full focus and I can see the progress bar.

JayB

Post by JayB » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 am

NC does have a progress bar in the Dock icon, so maybe it might be sufficient to just let the app icon bounce in the Dock after completion of smaller tasks. (But I believe the bouncing dock icon can be disabled by the users with a system tweak.)

As for true notifications, they could be in the "Alerts" style with a "Close" & "Show" button, with "Show" opening the relevant NC window and selecting the resulting file of the operation.

hugo187

Post by hugo187 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:03 am

As my workflow involves lots of text file editing directly on SFTP, I would also appreciate some kind of notification when the editor is in front and the edited file has been successfully uploaded to the server by NC in the background. In such scenario the time of the upload doesn't matter and the notification should be displayed every time.

I have the bouncing icon associated with the app calling for attention, e.g. when the copying operation shows the overwrite yes/no dialogue and requires user's input. Maybe, if you could make the Dock icon bounce just once? I recall some apps bouncing the Dock icon until the app gains focus again. That seems suitable for errors/overwrite dialogues, but not for completed operations.

mike

Post by mike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 am

hugo187 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:00 pm
I think the notifications should be displayed only when NC is in the background. There's no need for them when NC has full focus and I can see the progress bar.
That's a valid point.
I've added this behavior for situations when NC is a front app and you're waiting for a completion, but not looking at the app constantly (what for?).
May it's just me, but I can sometimes walk around my desk or look outside of a window while waiting/thinking - in this case notifications would be turned off by the system by default.
I'll make this option tunable.
hugo187 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:03 am
As my workflow involves lots of text file editing directly on SFTP, I would also appreciate some kind of notification when the editor is in front and the edited file has been successfully uploaded to the server by NC in the background. In such scenario the time of the upload doesn't matter and the notification should be displayed every time.
You mean some another kind of notifications especially for remote files updating?
Since the uploading is in fact just a regular copy operation with an automatic overwriting turned on.
When I'll add an option to set a minimum elapsed time for notifications to show, this time could be set to 0s, but this of course will lead to many notifications to show up.
But.. with them being turned off for cases when NC is a frontmost app, this can work.
JayB wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 am
As for true notifications, they could be in the "Alerts" style with a "Close" & "Show" button, with "Show" opening the relevant NC window and selecting the resulting file of the operation.
Clicking on notification already brings the window to the front.
As for selecting/unselecting items in file panels - IMHO this, if implemented, should be done automatically regardless of notifications.

hugo187

Post by hugo187 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:54 am

mike wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 am
You mean some another kind of notifications especially for remote files updating?
Since the uploading is in fact just a regular copy operation with an automatic overwriting turned on.
When I'll add an option to set a minimum elapsed time for notifications to show, this time could be set to 0s, but this of course will lead to many notifications to show up.
But.. with them being turned off for cases when NC is a frontmost app, this can work.
Yep, this could work. That's exactly how I envisioned it.