TC Style command line interpreter [CLOSED]

Any wishes

TC Style command line interpreter [CLOSED]

Post by image » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:45 am

Might be my own biased behaviour inherited from long term TC (or even mc) usage but:
I find the builtin command line interpreter in TC really handy, (the one which is activated by pressing the right arrow key so you can type your command right away which then is executed in the context of the current directory).
My common use cases are:

Code: Select all

cd ~
cd /
./run_executable -with_params
and invoking any other executables available in $PATH directories

EXAMPLE:

sublime etp.txt
having etp.txt available in current directory )

I can choose to

rm  file1 file2  file4
if I want, instead of selecting the files first and then hitting the deleting key (which is fine, but having the possibility of doing it with a command comes in handy when my brain chooses to do so).

PS. I get it that there's already a built in terminal in NC, but that tiny command line triggered by right arrow key is a completely different kind of beast in terms of perception. I can alway do "cd directory_name" from it, even if there's the typical way (jumping to the directory and hitting the enter key), and it doesn't make me forget the context while I do switch to the terminal and back, so basically I have the file list in front and the command i just typed.

mike

Re: TC Style command line interpreter

Post by mike » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:25 am

Hi image, and welcome to the forum!

Frankly I'm not sure if I got you right, but maybe "overlapped terminal" with keyboard redirection turned on is what you're looking for?

Please take a look at previous topics regarding this built-in terminal mode:
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23

Mike.

darek

Post by darek » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:45 am

There are three confusing issues here, I think:

* NC has actually two different terminal integrations, with separate history, output, similar but different way of switching, etc
* One of them is easy to find (View > Show Terminal / ALT+CMD+O) the other is less obvious (View > Panels Position > Show/Hide Panels / CTRL+ALT+O)
* By default the overlapped terminal is disabled and you have to hit CTRL+ALT+UP to show the command entry prompt. This makes it even harder to stumble upon the overlapped terminal feature.

I remember Mike explained somewhere the reasoning behind having them both, but from user experience point of view, I think I'd stick with just one, overlapped version. It's VERY powerful and that's what people coming from Midnight Commander and similar tools are more familiar with anyway. Mike did some very solid engineering work with the overlapped terminal and it's a pity that it's so easy to not notice that the feature is there.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:32 am

Darek, from my POV they are simply for different tasks :)
Case 1: ping'ing some host: yep, fine - overlapped terminal fits nicely
Case 2: compiling OpenSSL from scratch: no, I'd rather use a full-window terminal here

But I absolutely agree that it's currently not obvious how to activate an overlapped one.

darek

Post by darek » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:48 am

Yup, here's how it's in my mind: for anything that's supposed to last longer (like starting a local Rails server), I've made an external tool shortcut that launches a real Terminal.app, at current directory, in a separate window. Simple:

* quick terminal action related to stuff I'm doing in the panels -- let's make use of NC power!
* anything longer lasting or more serious -- oh, surely I need real, separate terminal for that

I'm no arguing my case here, just giving you a user perspective :) Also, this is the area that has me confused as well. I'm using the "full-window" terminal most often, even for tasks where I should actually be using the "overlapped" one, since I'm forgetting the overlapped version even exists ;)

Post by image » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:54 pm

* By default the overlapped terminal is disabled and you have to hit CTRL+ALT+UP to show the command entry prompt. This makes it even harder to stumble upon the overlapped terminal feature.
Thanks you, darek.
The overlapped terminal rocks! In fact, it is much better than TC implementation.
Now I completely love NC.
I don't even need the (ALT+CMD+O) one, as I am running iterm2 on a separate monitor, but maybe I will start using it as an additional terminal :) It has it's own shortcut and runs on my 1st monitor.

Post by image » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Man I lost too much time not knowing Nimble Commander exists.
I finally feel like peace came to os x.

Yesterday after installing and using it for the first time, I just kept using it for fun :) Just switching directories back and forth, browsing my network shares, copying photos from the SD card and not getting enough of the fact how snappy the thing is :) What a blessing.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Amen! :D

darek

Post by darek » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Yeah, my story as well :) For years, as I've been doing side work on OS X, I've longed for a good commander tool. But nothing came even close to Total Commander. Until I found Nimble Commander. Mike (a.k.a. migun, God knows why) is a very good engineer and this shows in NC.

Hopefully he'll be able to make this software spread, since it's still a rather little known gem.

P.S. Mike, I always wondered. Why do you sign yourself Mike and yet have the user name Migun? ;) Sounds like one more unnecessary split focus issue... ;) It always makes me wonder, if I should say "Mike is a good dude" or "Migun is...". And I'm wondering whether newcomers to the forum would get the reference.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 pm

darek wrote:Yeah, my story as well For years, as I've been doing side work on OS X, I've longed for a good commander tool. But nothing came even close to Total Commander. Until I found Nimble Commander. Mike (a.k.a. migun, God knows why) is a very good engineer and this shows in NC.
Darek, thanks for these words, it's an honor to hear something like that. :roll:
darek wrote:P.S. Mike, I always wondered. Why do you sign yourself Mike and yet have the user name Migun? Sounds like one more unnecessary split focus issue... It always makes me wonder, if I should say "Mike is a good dude" or "Migun is...".
Hah, it's just a nickname, almost twenty-years old :)
I use it anywhere automatically, without even thinking about it - and I agree that it might bring some confusion.
Let's see if it's possible to change a username/login here in phpBB.

*UPD - well, done, no more confusion :)