changing locations suggestion (f1 and f2) and more

Any wishes

changing locations suggestion (f1 and f2) and more

Post by image » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:54 pm

1. Cycling F1 and F2 can be done now only with hitting ESC key in between, which itself is not a big issue, but feels like it slows me down a bit (sometimes I do things in a hurry and a it might be a bit chaotic, and this ESC thing is really getting in the way).
In TC (and the others i believe as well) you can just hit alt+f1 and then alt+f2 and it will jump to the next panel.

2. The word "Folder" would look nicer if it was spelled as "Directory" or at least "dir" :)

3. ACDSee has a tagging feature (which I actually use A LOT, but as a matter of fact - only when moving my photos from camera or sorting them so...).
I allows you to mark (tag) files even across directories as you browse (and have them "tagged" temporary, until you close the application) "feed them to listbox", basically having a "tagged files" location where you can see them all together (or perform any other bulk operations on them, as mass rename or an automation etc.). A killer feature.
http://files.acdsystems.com/english/sup ... photos.pdf
Now after living the snappy experience of NC, I can't go back to ACDSee even if it's just for the times I'm sorting photos, it will eat my nerves.

4. One more thing that do really miss a lot is the CTRL + RIGHT ARROW and CTRL + LEFT ARROW from TC, which makes both panels have the same location (the source panel side being left or right depending on the arrow key used)

mike

Re: changing locations suggestion (f1 and f2) and more

Post by mike » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:21 am

Hi, image,
image wrote:1. Cycling F1 and F2 can be done now only with hitting ESC key in between, which itself is not a big issue, but feels like it slows me down a bit (sometimes I do things in a hurry and a it might be a bit chaotic, and this ESC thing is really getting in the way).
In TC (and the others i believe as well) you can just hit alt+f1 and then alt+f2 and it will jump to the next panel.
I very doubt this is possible in macOS. It's menu system is VERY rigid, in fact it seems to be unchanged from an ancient times - as many of these functions contains a word "Carbon" in their names (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_(API)).
image wrote:2. The word "Folder" would look nicer if it was spelled as "Directory" or at least "dir"
Ah, just a stylistic stuff, don't think that matters at all.
image wrote:3. ACDSee has a tagging feature (which I actually use A LOT, but as a matter of fact - only when moving my photos from camera or sorting them so...).
I allows you to mark (tag) files even across directories as you browse (and have them "tagged" temporary, until you close the application) "feed them to listbox", basically having a "tagged files" location where you can see them all together (or perform any other bulk operations on them, as mass rename or an automation etc.). A killer feature.
http://files.acdsystems.com/english/sup ... photos.pdf
Now after living the snappy experience of NC, I can't go back to ACDSee even if it's just for the times I'm sorting photos, it will eat my nerves.
Well, I have something similar in mind, but from a different angle.
I want to (in some future) add a so-called "named temporary panels", with a functionality to manually put items there and remove them out.
So basically this will deliver something very close.
image wrote:4. One more thing that do really miss a lot is the CTRL + RIGHT ARROW and CTRL + LEFT ARROW from TC, which makes both panels have the same location (the source panel side being left or right depending on the arrow key used)
Didn't get this one. You mean equalizing the panels' widths, right?

darek

Post by darek » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:27 am

I want to (in some future) add a so-called "named temporary panels", with a functionality to manually put items there and remove them out.
Oh, oh! I remember several times in my life wanting SO BAD to have something like that in Total Commander. That sounded like a perfect solution for the task at hand then. Collect files from various sources in one panel then copy, zip or batch rename them together. Sounds like a power tool for power users!

Post by image » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:22 am

I very doubt this is possible in macOS. It's menu system is VERY rigid, in fact it seems to be unchanged from an ancient times
- this sounds sad

"named temporary panels", with a functionality to manually put items there and remove them out
- and this sounds PERFECT
Didn't get this one. You mean equalizing the panels' widths, right?
No.
Say we have:
left panel location: /left/
right panel location : /right/
and the active panel is right panel (where the cursor is)
pressing CTRL + ARROW_LEFT will change left panel location to /right/
pressing CTRL + ARROW_RIGHT will change right panel location to /left/

which when I read the post now sounds confusing even to me, but in reality is VERY intuitive and useful.

so no matter which panel you are using now, you can change directory of any of them to the src of opposite panel.

CTRL+ARROW_LEFT => left_panel.src = right_panel.src
CTRL+ARROW_RIGHT => right_panel.src = left_panel.src

darek

Post by darek » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:32 am

Image, isn't that like View > Sync Panels (ALT+CMD+U)?

Post by image » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:40 am

isn't that like View > Sync Panels (ALT+CMD+U)?
Similar, but Sync panels involves current active panel, but the scenario I described does not

mike

Post by mike » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Well, I think it's not a big deal, will add this.
However, not sure about hotkeys - ctrl+arrows are used for screens switching by default.

Post by image » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Well, I think it's not a big deal, will add this.
However, not sure about hotkeys - ctrl+arrows are used for screens switching by default.
Thanks!
arrow key + any available will do it