Quit Finder when Nimble Commander launches [CLOSED]

Any wishes
JayB

Quit Finder when Nimble Commander launches [CLOSED]

Post by JayB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 pm

[I'm just throwing this out there, and I don't think it would be a really necessary addition, because the user can hack stuff like this by himself if he wants to.]

On my system I have hacked the Finder plist (I think it's the Finder plist) to get the Quit Finder menu item; killall only restarts the Finder. Maybe that's an option for an additional setting in Nimble Commander Preferences, something like "Quit Finder at Nimble Commander launch" plus a checkbox. If checked, NC would then add the relevant setting to the Finder plist, relaunch Finder with killall, and then quit Finder in a regular way, comparable to osascript 'tell application "Finder" to quit', and do so on every launch.

Additional possible setting would be: "Restart Finder at Nimble Commander exit"

[I think there are also ways to remove the Finder icon from the Dock, but that would be too much serious system hacking; and it wouldn't work on SIP-enabled systems anyway.]

mike

Re: Quit Finder when Nimble Commander launches

Post by mike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:30 am

I think this can be added via External Tools.
This feature is very specific and won't be used by majority of users, thus this will only bring unnecessary complexity into app.
( however, we can discuss some kind of automatic calling of External Tools upon startup/exit )

JayB

Re: Quit Finder when Nimble Commander launches [CLOSED]

Post by JayB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 am

It would probably be sufficient to just have the ability to run shell scripts (.sh) at launch and/or exit of NC. Then the user can simply add

Code: Select all

osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to quit'
and the like.