Standard File Info

Any wishes
JayB

Standard File Info

Post by JayB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:36 pm

In Finder I used CMD-I a lot to get the standard Finder information on a file, the most important thing being the version number of an application. It would be great to have something similar in NC. My current workaround is a workflow opening the file/folder in an external app (FileXaminer).

EDIT: in the shell, the correct program would be mdls for displaying additional Finder/HFS info, incl. version number, e.g.

Code: Select all

mdls /Applications/iTerm.app

sasha

Re: Standard File Info

Post by sasha » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:40 pm

If the Finder info dialogue is enough for you, you can just use "Services -> Show Info in Finder". I have mapped it to Cmd+I in my NC settings.

JayB

Post by JayB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Yeah, that would be the normal thing to do; but my Finder is disabled. :) (hacked plist, Finder with "Quit")

mike

Post by mike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 am

JayB wrote:In Finder I used CMD-I a lot to get the standard Finder information on a file, the most important thing being the version number of an application. It would be great to have something similar in NC.
Yep, this is often asked feature, but I think it's a low priority one at the moment.
sasha wrote:If the Finder info dialogue is enough for you, you can just use "Services -> Show Info in Finder". I have mapped it to Cmd+I in my NC settings.
That's a great idea!

maxim

Post by maxim » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 am

I was struggling without this feature. Solution from sasha works like a charm.

JayB

Post by JayB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:49 am

For those who have Finder disabled, you must use third-party tools. I'm currently using the old software FileXaminer, and I'm calling that with a simple open-path-with-app workflow via Services, incl. ALT-CMD-I shortcut. There's also the possibility, if you have e.g. installed LaunchBar, to get some rudimentary file information with entering the name of the file, selecting it (arrow down/up) and using the arrow-right.

bchuter

Post by bchuter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 am

sasha wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:40 pm
If the Finder info dialogue is enough for you, you can just use "Services -> Show Info in Finder". I have mapped it to Cmd+I in my NC settings.
Hi there

So i know where to find this, but how do you map it to a hot key in NC settings ?
I cant see it in the hot keys list, and i cant add a new hot key not listed ?

Im probably missing something very simple here.
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 09.55.55.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 09.55.55.png (219.5 KiB) Viewed 13518 times
Bradley Chuter

JayB

Post by JayB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 am

NC shortcuts are in NC:Preferences > Hotkeys

Third-party services shortcuts can be set in Services Preferences: System Preferences > pane:Keyboard > tab:Shortcuts > menu:Services > section:Files&Folders

bchuter

Post by bchuter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks JayB

I found it now.
Mine was 'show info in finder' i did not have 'get file info' in my list like yours.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.....mine now works!
Bradley Chuter

Post by Sticky » Sat May 01, 2021 8:49 pm

This is an old thread, but I was also struggling with this as I occasionally need to get the Finder info for a file. In Catalina, I made application specific shortcuts for Nimble Commander. You have to make sure the capitalization matches exactly (and that those options are available in the Services dropdown), but I was able to create a keyboard shortcut for: "Show Info in Finder" and also "Show in Finder"

So in case that's helpful for anyone else in the future, it works perfectly. :-)