Navigation in QuickLists

Any wishes
sasha

Navigation in QuickLists

Post by sasha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Probably an easy one:
The QuickLists (History, Favorites...) can be navigated up and down using arrow keys. It would be helpful if they were wrap-around: pressing up when in the first position up would move the selector to the last position and vice versa.

Maybe not so easy:
When you start typing inside a QuickList, the selection bar is navigated to the best-fitting entry. It would be nice if
1) this worked not only from the beginning of the string but anywhere
2) "soft filtering" could be turned off like for the panels, so items that don't match the typed string would disappear from the current list. Maybe in combination with "typing view".
Super useful if you have many entries in the favorites.

mike

Re: Navigation in QuickLists

Post by mike » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 am

On arrow keys handling: well... in fact there's not much I can do here, except of rewriting these lists with some custom UI instead of using system menus. Mac's menu system is very rigid and provides only few options after menu was shown.

Speaking of typing to select - what I can do is adding a text field on top and keep visible only items which fits entered text, something like Help menu does in macOS.

sasha

Re: Navigation in QuickLists

Post by sasha » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:24 pm

mike wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 am
On arrow keys handling: well... in fact there's not much I can do here, except of rewriting these lists with some custom UI instead of using system menus. Mac's menu system is very rigid and provides only few options after menu was shown.
I actually thought arrow-key-wrap-around was default behavior. You're right, perfectly fine leaving it like in the rest of the OS.
mike wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 am
Speaking of typing to select - what I can do is adding a text field on top and keep visible only items which fits entered text, something like Help menu does in macOS.
That sounds like a great idea! I'd like to give that a try sometime.