Missing? Show original (symlinks, hardlinks)

Any wishes
JayB

Missing? Show original (symlinks, hardlinks)

Post by JayB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 am

In macOS Finder, there's the possibility to select a symlink and choose "Show Original" from the contextual menu. This seems to be missing in Nimble Commander. (Or have I missed it somehow?) Very important functionality; would be great to have… for symbolic and hard links alike.

mike

Re: Missing? Show original (symlinks, hardlinks)

Post by mike » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:28 am

Panel footer shows a target of currently selected item, simply that:
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 12.27.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 12.27.09.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 9207 times
And what is the "original" for hard link? :)

JayB

Re: Missing? Show original (symlinks, hardlinks)

Post by JayB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:08 am

mike wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:28 am
Panel footer shows a target of currently selected item
Right, but there doesn't seem to be a command to "Show Original". With a symlinked directory it's easy, just access the symlink, and you're sent into the original directory, and just need to move up to the parent folder. But with symlinked files, e.g. executables, you can't double-click on them, because then they will be launched. So to navigate to the original's parent folder you'd have to use the "Go To…" function and type in the symlink target's parent folder. A "Show Original" command would surely be easier & faster.

I could easily program my own Service with a little shell script, but it should rather be a candidate for a native NC function.
And what is the "original" for hard link? :)
"Original" is probably the wrong word, but in essence any object that's also pointing to the same inode. (Might be tricky when there are several, though.)