Alt+up and Alt+down missing [DONE]

Any wishes
warpkanal

Alt+up and Alt+down missing [DONE]

Post by warpkanal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:53 pm

A small annoyance I often stumble upon when working with NC: actually most (native) macOS apps use alt+up and alt+down in lists for scrolling AND selecting the beginning or the end of the list respectively. (Just try e.g. with Finder)
They use the Home and End buttons only for scrolling the list without changing the selection.

Currently NC uses Home and End in the way other apps use alt+up and alt+down, that is scrolling and changing the selection (which I personally don't bother too much, I rarely want to scroll to the end without selecting the last entry)
Currently NC does nothing when alt+up or alt+down is hit (I bother a bit as I'm used to these shortcuts from other native apps).

Is it possible to add the default behaviour of macOS in lists with regards to alt+up and alt+down?
(as said maybe you want to reconsider Home and End as well but maybe other people like it how Home and End is working currently)

Regards,
Dieter

d0ublezer0

Re: Alt+up and Alt+down missing

Post by d0ublezer0 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

As in total commander, i use:
Alt+Up = "change current path", or "go to..."
Alt+Down = "show browsing history"

default behavior for go to end of line/list in macOs is Cmd+up,down,left,right
is not it?

warpkanal

Post by warpkanal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:56 pm

default behavior for go to end of line/list in macOs is Cmd+up,down,left,right
is not it?
Not quite :)
cmd+up,down,left,right is the default for text begin,text end,line begin,line end in text editors only.
In lists it looks different, cmd+left,right has no meaning at all, typically cmd+down,up is the same as without cmd, just down,up and in Finder cmd+down,up is entering or exiting a folder, quite weird :)

mike

Post by mike » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:02 am

Well, I can add a new hotkey to scroll to the beginning/end without actual cursor movement.
Since there's a similar pair with PgUp/PgDown already:
PgUp - move cursor one page up
Alt+PgUp - scroll one page up
PgDown - move cursor one page down
Alt+PgDown - scroll one page down
it will be reasonable to follow that scheme:
Home - move cursor to the first element
Alt+Home - scroll to the first element
End - move cursor to the last element
Alt+End - scroll to the last element

Afterwards, everybody is free to reassign these hotkeys with favorite layout.
What do you think?

warpkanal

Post by warpkanal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:06 am

Sounds good to me. I can reassign then.

Personally I'd switch the default behaviour in NC to match the one of macOS. Currently macOS does with pgup/pgdown/home/end what NC does when the user additionally presses Alt in NC; and when Alt in NC is not pressed, it's the behaviour of macOS when one presses Alt :)
On the other hand I wouldn't overstretch the "match macOS" thing, in the end NC has its own characteristics and as long as it's customizable, everybody can be happy :)

mike

Post by mike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 am

Ok, done in b2076.
Regarding some "default behaviour of macOS" - there's one major problem: IMHO there's no single "default behaviour" here, Apple often violates their own UX rules/recommendation when they need to.