In text fields, Alt+arrow should split on "." and "_", not just "-" [DONE]

Any wishes
adamtwar

In text fields, Alt+arrow should split on "." and "_", not just "-" [DONE]

Post by adamtwar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 am

In Finder, when I’m renaming files (or creating a folder and editing its name for example), I can use Alt+arrowkey to step through portions of the filename and Alt+Shift+arrowkey to select portions of the filename. Finder recognizes "." and "-" as portion separators. Nimble only recognizes "-" but not "." (so you cannot quickly select just the extension). Ideally, it should recognize ".", "-", "_", "," and some other non-word characters as not part of a word, so if I have a filename like "automatic_file.version1.txt" then I should be able to step through "automatic", then "file" and then "version1" and finally "txt".

adamtwar

Re: In text fields, Alt+arrow should split on "." and "_", not just "-"

Post by adamtwar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am

Just make some complicated filenames and then in Finder, do Rename and then when editing the file name, use Alt+arrowkey and Shift+arrowkeys to step through portions of the name. You’ll see how fast it is. Nimble cannot even split on ".", so if I have a file "report-older.txt" and I do Rename in place, then press DownArrow to jump to the end of the name and then I press Shift+Alt+LeftArrow, Nimble will select "older.txt" while Finder will only select "txt" so I can quickly replace the file extension.

mike

Re: In text fields, Alt+arrow should split on "." and "_", not just "-"

Post by mike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:28 am

Good point.
I've added stops at the following characters: ".", ",", "-", "_", "/", "\".
Will be available in the next preview build.