Non-modal search window

Any wishes
rail4you

Non-modal search window

Post by rail4you » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 am

Search in nc is very nice, it shows a dialog window, but this windows is modal, a standalone or non-modal window will be much better to use.

This is a long time topic in tc forum, https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=7956, 90% users like non-modal search window. TC
has a plugin system so the author didn't consider it before. Maybe nc can try to give us this feature?

The main reason to use non-modal search window is you can do interacive search, it is more flexible. For example, I want to search some files in different folders(Folder_A, Folder_B, Folder_C), I may pick up Folder_A first and do some search, and Folder_B, Folder_C. In modal search window, I have to open this window three times and it is even worse in nc(nc can't remember the last search setting). If the search window is non-modal, I can select Folder_A to search and select Folder_B to reuse the window(The search path changed to Folder_B).

I also hope a enhanced seach window will be the next big feature. Seach path, search preset,search tags, there are a lot of nice features with search function.

Finally, I really like current search window, it is a simple design but very useful.

rail4you

Re: Non-modal search window

Post by rail4you » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:45 am

TC 8.5 has this feature actually, you can open search windows in its own thread that will not block the main UI thread. The hotkey is "shift+alt+F7".

This feature can combine with search path and everything(windows spotlight like search), it can make the file manager as a powerful search machine.