3 ideas

Any wishes
flips

3 ideas

Post by flips » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Just discovered Nimble Commander. The dual pane/Norton Commander clone marked seems to be quite crowded. Still Nimble seems to stand out in quite a few ways. (I especially like the quick navigation by typing and the preview in the other pane.) :D

A few ideas/suggestions:
  1. Having used TotalFinder for quite a while, the main thing my muscle memory is looking for and not finding, is Cmd-x and Cmd-v for Cut and Paste of files/folders.
    Would adding this be feasible/possible? (I understand it's not typical for dual panes and un-apple'ish, but I still want it.) 8-)
  2. Other file managers, like fman has the ability to jump quick to sub folder by a flexible search (they use Cmd+p, Sublime style). This was pretty cool/effective, but I missed other stuff in that file manager (right/ctrl click to bring up services menu, being vital)
  3. It would be nice to have Finder's "Get Info" available.
flips 8-)

flips

Re: 3 ideas

Post by flips » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 pm

3. It would be nice to have Finder's "Get Info" available.
For this #3: It seems I can map Cmd+i to this in system preferences. :)
(Did some additional searching and found this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=189.)

mike

Post by mike » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:21 am

Hey flips, I'll try to answer:
1) You can use Cmd+C and then Alt+Cmd+V instead. I really don't understand what Cmd+X is for file managers - this can only be a fake.
2) Perhaps command palette will appear at some point in NC - I like this UX approach. Won't be soon though, as internal viewer is in focus for 1.2.6.

flips

Post by flips » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:17 am

1) You can use Cmd+C and then Alt+Cmd+V instead. I really don't understand what Cmd+X is for file managers - this can only be a fake.
Not sure what you mean by fake. TotalFinder and Pathfinder implement Cut&Paste by Cmd+C and Cmd+V, instead of the weird Finder/Apple convention of Copy (Cmd+C) and Move (Cmd+Opt+V) ... Apple's way does not work well with my muscle memory (It's illogical, if I want to move, I don't do a copy). I tried learning it for years, but I still struggle. (Ctrl+X for "cutting" files is normal in many other operating systems/file managers as well.) 8-)
2) Perhaps command palette will appear at some point in NC - I like this UX approach. Won't be soon though, as internal viewer is in focus for 1.2.6.
I'm not really suggesting you get a full command palette, but a way to quick jump to known locations would be handy. (There's file manager called jumpfm that just used `j` for jump.)
The quickest way now would be to go up to a higher folder and search, and then jump to found sub folder ... I think(?). :D
flips 8-)

JayB

Post by JayB » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm

It's not a weird convention. It's the only valid convention. At the core macOS is a Unix system, and Unix only knows copy and move when it comes to files. In the GUI it's slightly different from the direct approach with cp & mv, but still close enough: CMD-C copies the file path, and then you decide what to do with it: copy (CMD-V) or move (CMD-ALT-V).

There is no cut, never has been, and imho there shouldn't ever be: CMD-X is a disaster waiting to happen… and if you use macOS, you get Unix. ;)

flips

Post by flips » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Semantics ... :lol: Linux/UNIX GUI file managers (and even TUI tools like ranger, IIRC) has the logic of cut and paste (as does windows file explorer) and I never had disasters, and TotalFinder's implementation worked really well, for years ... But that doesn't really matter.

I'm saying it would really help me, and everyone with the same muscle memory/background.

Hence I suggested/requested the feature request. It doesn't really matter if mv technically resembles "Copy and Move" when implemented in a GUI, for when I work graphically, I cut&paste, text and stuff, being it files or folder, pictures or tables. That feels logical for me in a GUI.

I have fought my muscle memory and tried training myself to use Cmd+C and Cmd+Opt+V, but I've failed miserably so many times ...

So it was a suggestion. An option of allowing/turning on Cmd+X would make me happy.
I'm currently testing and comparing Nimble Commander with a few other alternatives.
flips 8-)

pomegranate1

Post by pomegranate1 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:04 pm

flips wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 pm
Semantics ... :lol: Linux/UNIX GUI file managers (and even TUI tools like ranger, IIRC) has the logic of cut and paste (as does windows file explorer) and I never had disasters, and TotalFinder's implementation worked really well, for years ... But that doesn't really matter.

I'm saying it would really help me, and everyone with the same muscle memory/background.

Hence I suggested/requested the feature request. It doesn't really matter if mv technically resembles "Copy and Move" when implemented in a GUI, for when I work graphically, I cut&paste, text and stuff, being it files or folder, pictures or tables. That feels logical for me in a GUI.

I have fought my muscle memory and tried training myself to use Cmd+C and Cmd+Opt+V, but I've failed miserably so many times ...

So it was a suggestion. An option of allowing/turning on Cmd+X would make me happy.
I'm currently testing and comparing Nimble Commander with a few other alternatives.
I completely agree with this.
JayB wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm
CMD-X is a disaster waiting to happen
May I ask why? To me cmd-c copies the file, cmd-x cuts the file, and cmd-v pastes the file (regardless of the file was copied or cut before) is so much more intuitive than the other way around. When you think about the logic, you already know whether you want to copy or move the file before you press cmd-c (or cmd-x) --- it is not like you first press cmd-c and then think "hmm ... should I copy this file or move this file?" So separating the copy/cut flow on the copying part when your brain is actually making the decision (instead of pasting part) is more logical.

IMO, how macOS manages files feels really outdated - I don't think I ever used a worse file manager than mac's Finder in my life. Doing things differently from mac's Finder is generally a good thing.