Overlapped Terminal : Command History

Any wishes
don

Overlapped Terminal : Command History

Post by don » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:07 am

Good day,

I would like to be able to go through the command history when "Route keyboard input to termial" is enabled.

Would it be possible to get a keyboard shortcut calling up a panel with the recent commands so I could use Up and Down rows to go through the history of the commands? The number of the recent options can be a configuration parameter and the panel can be searachable (regex?).

Similar to directory history CMD-1/CMD-2 but for all commands?

If this feature already exists and I just have missed it - my apologies.

mike

Re: Overlapped Terminal : Command History

Post by mike » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:38 am

don wrote:Good day,

I would like to be able to go through the command history when "Route keyboard input to termial" is enabled.

Would it be possible to get a keyboard shortcut calling up a panel with the recent commands so I could use Up and Down rows to go through the history of the commands? The number of the recent options can be a configuration parameter and the panel can be searachable (regex?).

Similar to directory history CMD-1/CMD-2 but for all commands?

If this feature already exists and I just have missed it - my apologies.
Don,

AFAIK there's no way to read Bash's process command history aside from brute hacks, like reading ~/.bash_history (which is updated on bash exit) or trying to read input from terminal screen itself (I think it will be very hard to make it perform stably).
I'm pretty against such hacks - so question is widely open.
Any ideas are welcome.

Mike.

don

Re: Overlapped Terminal : Command History

Post by don » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:45 am

I'd like to evaluate the idea presented in the other thread - to get away from the bash all together.

We have the other (background) terminal with bash anyway. So why would we need to keep it for the panels? Panels _ARE_ the terminal of sorts and the power of such is its strength. If we need bash - we can bash to another window (iTerm for me). For everything else - I use files.