"Brief" view mode [DONE]

Any wishes
maxim

"Brief" view mode [DONE]

Post by maxim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi! First of all I'd like to say a big thanks for the great app. Its performance is outstanding (I've tried quite a few other file managers) and it really close to my dream-tool.

One of my favourite feature is multi-column view mode, similar to Total Commander brief mode. However, after ten months of daily usage I think that original Brief Mode implementation worked better for me for two reasons:
- Dynamic column width: panel fits five or six columns if file names are short; on the other hand, you see full (non-trimmed) file names if they are long.
- More intuitive scrolling: when you scroll long list of files, it columns that are being scrolled, not files inside columns. Not sure if I explained it well, you can refer to Total Commander or Commander One behaviour.

Would it be possible to implement similar behaviour in Files Manager?

darek

Re: "Brief" view mode

Post by darek » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:51 am

"Dynamic column width" OH YES! That thing please. It's one of these features that I miss in Files terribly and I hate the fact that the file name is cut in brief mode. I was waiting for a good moment to bring this up to Mike, but it looks like you've beaten me to it :)

mike

Post by mike » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi maxim and welcome to the forum!

I'm not quite sure how that dynamic column width calculation should work.
Can you describe that logic?

Mike.

darek

Post by darek » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Mike, it's simple, at least in theory ;) You just make the column width match the longest name in current directory. Here's how Commander One does it, which is pretty much the same as in Total Commander:
dynamic1.jpeg
dynamic1.jpeg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
The attachment dynamic2.jpeg is no longer available
Attachments
dynamic2.jpeg
dynamic2.jpeg (77.35 KiB) Viewed 7427 times