Mount/Unmount [FIXED]

Any wishes
sasha

Mount/Unmount [FIXED]

Post by sasha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi,

two ideas about working with disk images.

1) When mounting a disk image, sometimes a Finder window emerges (e.g. for dragging an application into the linked /Applications folder.) In Files, I would prefer the following: after pressing enter on a disk image, don't show the Finder window and instead change path of the current panel to the mounted image in /Volumes/... An optional "open disk images in new tab" would be useful, too.

2) It would be great to have a built-in unmount function. To unmount, one has to switch to Finder or type a umount command into terminal. Some suggestions:
a) display unmount-icons in "Change Folder..." list (F1/F2)
b) add "/Volumes" to "Change Folder..." list and make DEL or CMD+BACKSPACE keys eject the image
c) make mounted images in /Volumes panel draggable to Trash icon in Dock like using Finder

Thanks.

-Sasha

mike

Re: Mount/Unmount

Post by mike » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:13 am

Hi Sasha,

Here're my thoughts on mounting .img files.
I personally think that hardcoding the exact behaviour for some kind of items is generally bad.
Perhaps it would be better to implement this mounting as external tool call when such support would be added to the app.

As for volumes unmounting - some basic support is already present, currently under menu item Command->Eject Volume.
I'm not quite sure about you suggestion for hotkeys in Change Folder menu - you can't assign any hotkeys in menus apart for menu items themselves.

Mike.

sasha

Post by sasha » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39 pm

Hi Mike,

as for changing the default mount behavior, I understand leaving it like that. It's no big deal to switch focus from Finder back to Files.

As for unmounting, I noticed the "Eject Volume" menu item, but it seemed not to work at all. There was just no output at all and the volume remained mounted. I just figured out why: I am using the overlapped terminal and going into a mounted volume (e.g. using F1/F2) also changes the current working directory in the overlapped terminal. This prevents Files and others from unmounting the volume. Not using the overlapped terminal, "Eject Volume" works fine.

-Sasha

darek

Post by darek » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:40 am

Just a quick note: Eject Volume is quite unreliable for me as well. I've often had situations with external USB drives where it did nothing. Clicking the eject button in Finder on the other hand always did the trick.

sasha

Post by sasha » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Darek,

when "Eject Volume" didn't work for me, usually there was some process (Terminal, Finder window, ...) running somewhere. Terminating it usually enabled "Eject Volume" to work properly for me.

Do you have a case where it often fails? If so, does a manual eject using "umount" in Terminal work in that case?

-Sasha

darek

Post by darek » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to investigate this much, but I'll do on the next occasion :)