build 1716 - FindFiles & Internal Viewer improvements

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 1716 - FindFiles & Internal Viewer improvements

Post by mike » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:38 am

Hi guys,

A LOT of changes were made in a built-in viewer and a Find Files sheet since last version released:
( here referencing an excellent change request by Darek: https://github.com/mikekazakov/nc/issues/36 )
  • Find Files makes Go To button a default after successful search.
    If any search settings were changed - returns default button to Search.
  • Find Files turns a filename mask into wildcard if it's not, i.e. like "system" -> "*system*".
  • Find Files moves focus to results table after successful search.
  • Internal Viewer can now operate in two modes: in modal (old one, defaulted) and as a separate window.
    When hitting Alt+F3 in file panels, internal viewer will be shown as a separate window too, if modal mode is Off.
    Toggle Preferences->Viewer->Common->Modal mode checkbox to change this behavior.
    A simple example:
    Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 18.31.49.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 18.31.49.jpg (192.77 KiB) Viewed 12532 times
  • All modes of internal viewer are now functionally equal.
  • Internal viewer can be called using menu hotkey (Alt+F3 by default) from FindFiles sheet.
  • After bringing internal viewer from FindFiles sheet, if there was some search inside a file - sets a search term in a viewer.
  • Internal viewer can now show a QuickLook preview inside itself.
    So now there're 3 types: Text, Hex and Preview.
  • Internal viewer now have a GoTo position button.
  • Misc stuff: included jar in archives whitelist.
Here's the build itself: http://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previe ... (1716).zip

Mike.

darek

Re: build 1716 - FindFiles & Internal Viewer improvements

Post by darek » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:50 am

Oh man! This was unexpected :) I'll definitely be testing this soon!

darek

Post by darek » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Ok, tested for a while and it simply rocks! So much better than the previous behavior :) But if you're looking for feedback, here's a few things I've noticed:

* When I search for stuff in files and then view a single file, I see my search time highlighted (excellent). I was expecting that pressing CMD+G would cycle through all the matches in the file, but it doesn't seem to work. Is that possible?

* Can you make it so that ESC closes the viewer window? Currently F3 does it (which is strange) but it would be cool if ESC worked too, Total Commander style. (Also ESC can be used to close the "Find files" window, so that would be consistent... yeah, I know, one is dialog and one is a window, potato-tomato ;) )

* When I search for something in TC, close the search window and then open it again, I can see previous search results still there. It's not a critical feature, but sometimes (rarely) it's quite useful. If it's very cheap to add (i.e. not resetting the state) then it might be cool.

* Alt-F3 doesn't do anything for me (tried it in modal view). But when experimenting and pressing Alt+F3 and F3 several tiems, I did crash the program. Not sure it it's related. I'll send you crash report via email.

mike

Post by mike » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:44 am

darek wrote:Ok, tested for a while and it simply rocks! So much better than the previous behavior :)
Thanks Darek :)
darek wrote: But if you're looking for feedback, here's a few things I've noticed:

* When I search for stuff in files and then view a single file, I see my search time highlighted (excellent). I was expecting that pressing CMD+G would cycle through all the matches in the file, but it doesn't seem to work. Is that possible?
Missed that one. Yep, will do.
Not sure about Shift+Cmd+G however, thinking I'll postpone it.
darek wrote: * Can you make it so that ESC closes the viewer window? Currently F3 does it (which is strange) but it would be cool if ESC worked too, Total Commander style. (Also ESC can be used to close the "Find files" window, so that would be consistent... yeah, I know, one is dialog and one is a window, potato-tomato ;) )
Ah, yeah. The problem is that generally in Mac UX - windows are not closed by Esc, they are closing by Cmd+W.
Handling Esc to close a window is literally a few lines of code, but I don't like adding another inconsistency with default macOS behavior.
Don't know for now. (I personally prefer Esc to close windows, yes)

Maybe anybody else has something to say on this? Guys? :)
darek wrote: * When I search for something in TC, close the search window and then open it again, I can see previous search results still there. It's not a critical feature, but sometimes (rarely) it's quite useful. If it's very cheap to add (i.e. not resetting the state) then it might be cool.
Darek, under which circumstances search dialog should return to a clean state?
I mean, if it was previously shown an hour ago, and file panel is in a completely different state - bringing that old search results might be confusing.
darek wrote: * Alt-F3 doesn't do anything for me (tried it in modal view). But when experimenting and pressing Alt+F3 and F3 several tiems, I did crash the program. Not sure it it's related. I'll send you crash report via email.
Yep, there's some issue there, will fix it.
BTW, seems that you've remapped that hotkey - it's Alt+F3 by default, not clean F3.

darek

Post by darek » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:11 am

ESC - yeah, it's not system default on Windows either, but some apps implement this as a way to close a window. Usually for windows that are meant to be opened an closed quickly, like internal app windows. That's what TC does for the viewer and since I'm switching between Windows and macOS several times a day things like this stand out ;) Anyway, I wouldn't mind this exception in NC as well.

Clean slate in find files - I think TC keeps it until it's closed, but I have no way to verify now. I wouldn't mind if it just stayed there as long as the app is open (it doesn't have to be saved between opens though).

F3 - ah yeah! I must have remapped it to be consistent with TC and forgot about it completely :) Mystery solved. Thanks!

darek

Post by darek » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:04 pm

After working with it for a few days: can I ask very nicely for that ESC to close the Viewer? :) Assuming it's a trivial task. Even if you had to make it a hidden option in the config file... I'm switching between PC and Mac a lot and somehow this is super confusing :)

No rush with that of course. I'm patient :)

mike

Post by mike » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Darek, it's done (actually literally today).
I've spent a few days hunting for Apple's bug which caused crashes when changing to viewer's window state (mentioned above), fixing of which, in turn, has lead to some architectural changes in NC :evil:

So yep, I can upload a build with Esc button closing Viewer windows. And Cmd+G hotkey also.

darek

Post by darek » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:18 pm

You rock!

mike

Post by mike » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Here's the build #1723 itself:
http://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previe ... (1723).zip

Should work fine, if I haven't missed something in this hustle.

darek

Post by darek » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Looks perfect so far :)