build 1946 - new UI, part III

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 1946 - new UI, part III

Post by mike » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi, folks,

Another results on this grand UI reconstruction:
http://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previe ... (1946).zip
Apart from many bug fixes with new UI, three themes are now available: Modern, Classic and Dark.
Use the "Application appearance" combo in Preferences->General to switch between them.
Currently the theme is set only upon application startup, so restart is required to activate a new theme.

There's no Preferences UI to change theme's colors/fonts currently, but if somebody might want to fiddle with these settings - then just copy an appropriate theme file from app's bundle (like dark.json) to ../Application Support/Nimble Commander/ and NC will load changed settings from that location.

Regards,
Mike.

JayB

Re: build 1946 - new UI, part III

Post by JayB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Thank you! Maybe it's just me, but it kinda feels snappier than the stable release.

BTW: tried Commander One two hours ago, got totally depressed. ;) NC is a really great software.

moonrak

Post by moonrak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi,
I couldn't resist and installed this (beta) version.
Oh man, I think I will convert from "Classic" to "Dark".
Dark mode rocks.
Is there any chance that the Nimble Commander icon (I have it in the dock) changes depending on the selected "Application appearance"?
Cheers,
moonrak

JayB

Post by JayB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Sadly dark mode doesn't seem to be suited for the high contrast setting which I'm using in macOS.

don

Post by don » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:16 am

Checked it out.
Generally I could live with that, so from the general directioin it looks like all good.

Nuances now.

Frames - Borderless is cool. The frames can be lost - no issues.

Font - was not able to change the font? The default is a bit too small. What do I miss on the procedure?

Icons - the icons are a no go for me. Visual distraction, no value added. How do get rid of them?

SlavaU

Post by SlavaU » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi!
- Agree that Icons should be optional, especially in Classic mode. For me they are just wasted space and distraction.
- Time is missing in Date columns (Full view mode). Or is it a problem of my system-wide settings? In stable version there are both date and time.
- Probably in Full view mode the width of "File size", "Date created", "Date..." columns should be automatically adjusted depending on amount of information and used fonts. Now it's fix and if I use big fonts (or specific regional date settings) the part of information is missing, if I use small fonts there is waste space.

Thanks for great program!

don

Post by don » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:09 am

SlavaU wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:45 pm
Hi!
- Agree that Icons should be optional, especially in Classic mode. For me they are just wasted space and distraction.
Thank you for emphasising that - I am a Classic mode guy, always slips my mind that people use other modes as well.

yes, icons need to go for the classic mode.

JayB

Post by JayB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 am

I think the columns options should be expanded, but should be under full user control in NC preferences. E.g. I personally would like setup my directory listings with owner, group, permissions, inode, size, dates (like last access date etc.).

As for icons, making them optional would be the wisest thing to do. In the other thread there were some users (incl. me) liking the idea of classic mode with icons.

don

Post by don » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:32 am

JayB wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 am
As for icons, making them optional would be the wisest thing to do. In the other thread there were some users (incl. me) liking the idea of classic mode with icons.
Fully agree.

The reason I was putting focus that no icons should be the default is that when the feature was considered originally, the imperative was to change the underlying engine introducing the absolute minimum changes to classic mode visually.

mike

Post by mike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:07 am

Guys, thanks for your feedback!
JayB wrote:Maybe it's just me, but it kinda feels snappier than the stable release.
Well, it's not fair to compare these implementations directly.
Drawing itself was much faster in previous implementation, but in new implementation it is called a fewer times, thanks to consuming much more memory. These just a different approaches.
moonrak wrote:Oh man, I think I will convert from "Classic" to "Dark".
Dark mode rocks.
Ha-ha, I knew it! :)
moonrak wrote:Is there any chance that the Nimble Commander icon (I have it in the dock) changes depending on the selected "Application appearance"?
I highly doubt it, don't have another spare grand to spend on a new icon variant.
I mean, it's easy to write some code to substitute application icon depending on a selected theme, but there's no mechanism to automatically alter the icon image itself.
JayB wrote:Sadly dark mode doesn't seem to be suited for the high contrast setting which I'm using in macOS.
Can't you explain this a bit? Colors inside panels are not fixed, they can be changed, or is it something with general UI theming itself (application frame, dialogs etc)?
don wrote:Frames - Borderless is cool. The frames can be lost - no issues.
Great to hear it!
don wrote:Font - was not able to change the font? The default is a bit too small. What do I miss on the procedure?
You can change it, but it requires some work with JSON config in this build - take a look at first post.
Preferences UI for altering these settings will be available in next preview build.
don wrote:Icons - the icons are a no go for me. Visual distraction, no value added. How do get rid of them?
Got it, option will be added in next preview build.
I'm working on different layouts depending on icon size (like 1x or 2x - often asked before) and third option (0x) will be there too.
SlavaU wrote:- Time is missing in Date columns (Full view mode). Or is it a problem of my system-wide settings? In stable version there are both date and time.
Date-times columns format it chosen depending on column width, just make it wider. (sadly these widths are not saved yet, pardon me)
SlavaU wrote:- Probably in Full view mode the width of "File size", "Date created", "Date..." columns should be automatically adjusted depending on amount of information and used fonts.
Can you explain this a bit? I didn't get the idea.
SlavaU wrote:Thanks for great program!
Welcome to the forum! :)