build 1187 - overlapped terminal, keyboard input routing

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 1187 - overlapped terminal, keyboard input routing

Post by mike » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:51 am

Hi everybody!

I've added an option to route a keyboard input from panels to overlapped terminal (very much like in Far):
http://filesmanager.info/downloads/prev ... (1187).zip

By default this option is turned OFF, you can find it in Preferences->Panels->Common.
Of course QuickSearch should be set to have some modifier or it will consume input with letters pressed.
Also, turning this option ON will disable some panels hotkeys when overlapped terminal is visible:
- tilde key
- forward slash key
- backspace key
- space key

Tab, Esc, arrows, PgUp/PgDown, Home, End will not be routed into terminal.
Files will route keyboard input from panels into terminal only if it is in "Shell" state (i.e. not running something called by Bash).

Will this feature be useful?

darek

Re: build 1187 - overlapped terminal, keyboard input routing

Post by darek » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 am

Just gave it a quick look and I'm wondering about the feature where pressing tab clears the command line. Here's the use case:

1. Focus on command line
2. Type "cp " then paste file path.
3. Focus on the panels again. The intention is to tab to the second panel and paste another path in.

However, as soon as I do 3 the command I've started building below disappears. I understand that's because there's a "cd DIR" being executed, but it breaks the most common use case for me: building command by using panels for navigation and pasting relevant files and paths.

Also, I'm not sure if I like that when the command line below is focused (both panels visible) the cursors, tab, enter and other keys are stuck in the terminal, instead of navigating within the panels. It seems limiting (at least for now) and requires me to switch focus several times between panels and command line, if I want to build a more complex command. I'm not sure how Far did that, but it's not the case in Total Commander or even Midnight Commander. When I have panes visible, I usually want the power of both worlds combined. When I decide I want to use all tricks of the command line, I'll just hide the panels. Just my 2c :)

achekulaev

Re: build 1187 - overlapped terminal, keyboard input routing

Post by achekulaev » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:33 am

Not sure if I'll ever use this feature but if I do I would expect Tab key to be routed into shell IF I already started typing something in there. It's tricky behavior though. I realize that.