build 2099 - custom favorites

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 2099 - custom favorites

Post by mike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 am

Hi, folks,

Great news - NC has finally got a custom favorites list!
Being previously tied to Finder's favorites, it supported only local paths on the native filesystems. The lack of internal way to change this list was an old annoyance (1), but since 10.11 it became a real problem (2, 3) as those APIs to access Finder's favorites were deprecated and now may fail under some unknown circumstances.

I've added an internal list, which supports virtually any location NC can show, including complex constructions like "a folder inside an archive placed on a ftp hosting". Initially NC will try to fetch favorites list from Finder, if it fails, NC will fill this list with default folders set.

To manage the favorites list there's a new window (Go->Favorites->Manage Favorites or Ctrl+Cmd+B), where it's possible to add/remove or rearrange the favorite locations:
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 15.42.01.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 15.42.01.png (50.84 KiB) Viewed 11022 times
New favorites can be added via currently focused panel entries by pressing the "+" button (or ^V), or via dragging some entry from NC's panel or from another application. Drag&drop can be used to rearrange the ordering. There's an arbitrary title for a favorite location, editable in that window too.
There's a new hotkey: Cmd+B to quickly add the currently focused panel item to the favorites list.

Also, NC now gathers a list of frequently visited locations, which are now shown by Cmd+3 in quick navigation list and in Go->Frequently Visisited. NC accounts visits' frequency and time points, so it can calculate something like a "frecency"(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frecency) when showing the most actual locations. Locations, which are included in Favorites list, are excluded from the frequently visited list.

Here's a build with the additions:
http://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previe ... (2099).zip

warpkanal

Re: build 2099 - custom favorites

Post by warpkanal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am

Cool !!! Simple layout, yet effective, really like it!
Also the idea about the frequently visited items is very interesting, curious to see how this "evolves" into my workflow :)

dawid

Post by dawid » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:25 pm

That's awesome. I really appreciate it.

It would be great if user could define their own character based shortcut (now it 1,2,3....). I'd like to define them as e.g. A, D, X etc.

mike

Post by mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:05 am

dawid wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:25 pm
It would be great if user could define their own character based shortcut (now it 1,2,3....). I'd like to define them as e.g. A, D, X etc.
Hi, dawid! You mean the QuickList, right?
Let's discuss it's evolution here: http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110.
There're plenty of different ways to improve it.

don

Post by don » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 am

I am late to the party but I really liked that you can also rearrange them.
Perfect!