build 2110 - mounting of network shares

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

Re: build 2110 - mounting of network shares

Post by mike » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

swoop wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:25 am
One thing, though. When I created a mount for AFP and mistakenly used SMB qualifier (DISKSTATION i.s.o diskstation.local) for my Synology NAS, NC crashed horribly. I know this is an extreme corner case, but thought you want to know.
Could you provide me with a crash report and any other details?
I didn't catch what mount information was given to NC.

swoop

Post by swoop » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm

mike wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am
swoop wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:25 am
One thing, though. When I created a mount for AFP and mistakenly used SMB qualifier (DISKSTATION i.s.o diskstation.local) for my Synology NAS, NC crashed horribly. I know this is an extreme corner case, but thought you want to know.
Could you provide me with a crash report and any other details?
I didn't catch what mount information was given to NC.
Here it comes. In Server, "DISKSTATION" is SMB qualifier (i.e. \\DISKSTATION on Windows). I copy pasted text from macOS crash report.
Is that what you need? It is 100% reproducible, so let me know if there's a better way to collect crash logs.
Attachments
nc.crash.afp-smb.png
nc.crash.afp-smb.png (81.71 KiB) Viewed 30152 times
nc.crash.afp-smb.txt.zip
(19.96 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
Total Commander (Windows 95 - Windows 7) (retired for Mac)
Nimble Commander (retired Crax, Commander One, DCommander)
Macbook 12" 2016 - macOS High Sierra

mike

Post by mike » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:57 pm

swoop wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm
Here it comes. In Server, "DISKSTATION" is SMB qualifier (i.e. \\DISKSTATION on Windows). I copy pasted text from macOS crash report.
Is that what you need? It is 100% reproducible, so let me know if there's a better way to collect crash logs.
Thanks, swoop. Of course it was the most obvious and the most dumb bug. :(
Just fixed.

sasha

Post by sasha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Very nice to see this feature added. I'm looking forward to using it with keyboard hotkeys!

There seems to be one error that is not caught: trying to connect to a SMB share when I'm not in the local network creates a spinner in the toolbar until NC crashes after a timeout. Error log attached.

Quick side note: Shouldn't the text box in the middle of the toolbar show a message when NC attempts to access a share and not only show the spinner? Or is there another philosophy behind that text box?
Attachments
nc_crash_smb.txt.zip
(20.38 KiB) Downloaded 535 times

mike

Post by mike » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:44 am

sasha wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 pm
There seems to be one error that is not caught: trying to connect to a SMB share when I'm not in the local network creates a spinner in the toolbar until NC crashes after a timeout. Error log attached.
The same bug, sorry for this issue, please update to the next build.
sasha wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 pm
Quick side note: Shouldn't the text box in the middle of the toolbar show a message when NC attempts to access a share and not only show the spinner? Or is there another philosophy behind that text box?
Well, activities shown in the box are so called "file operations", which aren't directly connected to a particular panel, they are managed by the containing window. So, with current architecture/design, after some potentially long file operation (like copying, compressing, batch renaming, attributes altering etc) is fired - it is not longer connected with a panel it originated from. Another notable example of such file operations - uploading of an externally changed file to a remote ftp/sftp location - file panel does not fire this operation to run, it is started by a background monitoring service.
Per-panel temporary activities (like loading/reloading/going to remote server etc) are shown only by a spinning indicator and can be cancelled by hitting and Esc button.

I've uploaded a fixed build:
http://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previe ... (2118).zip

hugo187

Post by hugo187 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 pm

I noticed when the share cannot be mounted for some reason, a folder named after the share remains in the /Volumes/ folder. E.g. I tried to mount windows disk D: (smb://10.0.0.2/D$), but didn't have permission to do so. D$ appeared in /Volumes/. When I tried again, D$-1 appeared in /Volumes/. Then D$-2 and so on.

JayB

Post by JayB » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:52 pm

This seems to be standard macOS behavior. I wanted to mount a cloud volume via SSHFS recently, but for some reason it didn't work (probably wrong credentials), and even though the mount never worked, it popped up in /Volumes, and also in the volume list when you enter

Code: Select all

df
in the shell. A simple

Code: Select all

umount <MountPoint>
usually does the trick.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:03 am

Can't add much to JayB's post - that's the default macOS' behavior.
As a possible workaround - you can specify a mount path manually, in this case system won't breed these invalid mount points.

hugo187

Post by hugo187 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks both. It makes sense. No need to worry about that further.

xxyxxyxyx1

Post by xxyxxyxyx1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 pm

i am having trouble using this feature to connect to an SMB server. I entered the information for it, but the 'save' button is greyed out (screenshot attached).

If I mount it using cmd-k in Finder, it works properly.
Attachments
smb.png
smb.png (390.57 KiB) Viewed 23528 times