build 2163 - quick lists filtration

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 2163 - quick lists filtration

Post by mike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 am

Hi,

Here's an update on v1.2.1:
  • Now Quick Lists and GoTo menus can be filtered with a regular keyboard input while menus being shown.
    Also, now there's an initial selection in these menus.
    Sadly, these improvements use some hacks and basically may stop working after any future macOS update, but I personally found them pretty cool anyway.
    (http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110)
  • Fixed an issue with barely visible vertical bar when doing in-place renaming with the Dark theme.
  • Moved activity indicators from a toolbar into panels' headers.
  • Removed Share buttons from a toolbar completely.
  • Fixed an issue with invalid FindFiles UI behavior.
    (https://github.com/mikekazakov/nc/issues/64)
  • Improved a performance of fetching of search results (both custom and spotlight).
  • Other minor bug fixes.
The build itself:
http://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previe ... (2163).zip
Any feedback is very welcome.

warpkanal

Re: build 2163 - quick lists filtration

Post by warpkanal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:27 am

Basically I like the quick list filtering, still I think it looks a bit cluttered at the top and should be placed at the bottom if not autohiding it :D
Esp. this becomes visible with few entries like my volumes list (having one volume only)
However that's not too important, propably a matter of personal preference ;)

mike

Post by mike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks warpkanal, got your point.
I'll try different text field styles, perhaps it's possible to achieve a compromise variant.

sasha

Post by sasha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 pm

mike wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 am
Now Quick Lists and GoTo menus can be filtered with a regular keyboard input while menus being shown.
I like the Quick List filtering and I'm using it frequently. Some minor things:
  • when typing into the filter text box, the Space key currently selects the current item. I would prefer if it just added a space character to the text box so space could be used for filtering.
  • the list shortcuts ([0..9], '-', '=') interfere with filtering. E.g., if there are list items like 'foo_2016', 'foo_2017'... and I start typing 'foo_' then the character '2' opens the shortcut 2 and can't be used for filtering. Maybe the shortcuts can be disabled when filtering is active?
  • I would like if list items could be dragged up/down or deleted from the lists directly so I wouldn't need to open up Favorites manager (Cmd+Ctrl+B) for little changes. E.g., holding Opt would add a delete icon in front of the entries and Click would delete an entry.
  • Favorites manager could be closed using Esc rather than only with Cmd+W.
  • Currently, the NC's favorites can be reset to Finder's favorites. Is there a way to keep them in sync so that changes in NC affect Finder's Favorites and vice versa?

swoop

Post by swoop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Massive! That is so handy. Very nice feature.
mike wrote:
Any feedback is very welcome.
Here we go... ;)
mike wrote:
Also, now there's an initial selection in these menus.
These menus do not support wrap-around. But previously, because there was no initial selection, I could have pressed "UP" and the last element would be selected. It was handy, but now it's not possible.
Total Commander (Windows 95 - Windows 7) (retired for Mac)
Nimble Commander (retired Crax, Commander One, DCommander)
Macbook 12" 2016 - macOS High Sierra

mike

Post by mike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 am

Guys, thanks for feedback!
sasha wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 pm
when typing into the filter text box, the Space key currently selects the current item. I would prefer if it just added a space character to the text box so space could be used for filtering.
Well, it possible to intercept that keystroke, but it'll strongly contradict with a default UI behavior in macOS - Space bar is always used to trigger a currently focused element.
sasha wrote:
the list shortcuts ([0..9], '-', '=') interfere with filtering. E.g., if there are list items like 'foo_2016', 'foo_2017'... and I start typing 'foo_' then the character '2' opens the shortcut 2 and can't be used for filtering. Maybe the shortcuts can be disabled when filtering is active?
Yep, just checked - it's possible to remove these hotkeys after something was entered as a filter.
It's not a big deal to implement it, although it won't help with items like "2016_foo" - in this case a hotkey will be triggered before I can intercept a keyboard input.
sasha wrote:
I would like if list items could be dragged up/down or deleted from the lists directly so I wouldn't need to open up Favorites manager (Cmd+Ctrl+B) for little changes. E.g., holding Opt would add a delete icon in front of the entries and Click would delete an entry.
Oh, this goes far beyond an expected functionality of generic menus. To implement it I need to firstly write a custom menu-like control from scratch.
sasha wrote:
Favorites manager could be closed using Esc rather than only with Cmd+W.
Right, forgot to wire it. Done.
sasha wrote:
Currently, the NC's favorites can be reset to Finder's favorites. Is there a way to keep them in sync so that changes in NC affect Finder's Favorites and vice versa?
I wouldn't count on that. The only "official" way to somehow interact with Finder's Favorites was deprecated in 10.11 and still there's no replacement.
swoop wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 pm
These menus do not support wrap-around. But previously, because there was no initial selection, I could have pressed "UP" and the last element would be selected. It was handy, but now it's not possible.
Huh.. my first thought was like "ok, but you can press a Home button, right?".
And then I realized that there's no dedicated Home button on MacBooks.
Ok, might it be a good compromise to move a menu focus only after some filter input?

swoop

Post by swoop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 pm

mike wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 am
Guys, thanks for feedback!
You are very welcome, Mike
mike wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 am
Huh.. my find thought was like "ok, but you can press a Home button, right?".
And then I realized that there's no dedicated Home button on MacBooks.
Ok, might it be a good compromise to move a menu focus only after some filter input?
Good point, and indeed Home/End (fn <- / fn ->) can be used. PgUp/PgDn (fn Up/fn Dn) behave a bit strangely, as if the page length was a bit bigger than current screen. The compromise seems like a good idea.
Total Commander (Windows 95 - Windows 7) (retired for Mac)
Nimble Commander (retired Crax, Commander One, DCommander)
Macbook 12" 2016 - macOS High Sierra

athan

Post by athan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

Just a minor bug...
^1 "View Mode - Short" keyboard shortcut doesn't seem to work (in stable 1.2.x too). Selecting it from menu works though.

And a suggestion: IMHO the default panel sorting and view mode should be memorized.

Thanks and keep up the good work! Just bought an NC license and it's exactly what I was looking for! :)

sasha

Post by sasha » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:38 pm

athan wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am
^1 "View Mode - Short" keyboard shortcut doesn't seem to work (in stable 1.2.x too). Selecting it from menu works though.
Keyboard shortcut works for me. Maybe you changed the setting (Hotkeys > View > View Mode > Short)?

athan

Post by athan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:07 pm

sasha wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:38 pm
Keyboard shortcut works for me. Maybe you changed the setting (Hotkeys > View > View Mode > Short)?
Maybe it's the MacOS Sierra which by default defines "^1" as system wide kbd shortcut for mission control - "switch to desktop 1"
The usual Mac issue; too many shortcuts not enough unique combinations :lol: