build 2228 - connections manager & Dropbox VFS

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 2228 - connections manager & Dropbox VFS

Post by mike » Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 am

Hi, folks,

Finally I have something cool to show to you:
  • NC got a new VFS: Dropbox. It works on par with FTP/SFTP, i.e. it is fully integrated into NC's internal infrastructure.
    I personally found it quite entertaining to be able to edit a cloud-stored file with "vi" inside a terminal emulator :D
    You can have any amount of Dropbox accounts set up and connected at the same time, regardless of your currently installed one, if any.
    To grant NC an access to the storage, you need to login with your account on dropbox.com.
    To grant access to different storages, simply perform the previous operation while being logged in with different accounts.
    Performance note: this VFS provides no caching at all, much like SFTP does, thus may have networking lags, especially when dealing with many files.
    But in practice, when using Dropbox VFS from my place, i.e. with VPN over ~10,000km, I have lags like 400-800ms, which is bearable.
  • NC finally got a network connections manager, where you can add new ones, and edit or delete existing connections.
    At this moment it shows existing connections in Most-Recently-Used manner, this aspect might evolve at some point.
    (http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=137)
  • Fixed an issue with handling of certain archives. (http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=243)
  • Brief mode now supports horizontal scrolling with a PC mouse without Shift key pressed.
  • Added a new sorting option: extensionless folders. (http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224)
  • Improved behavior of QuickList/GoTo menus filtering. (http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=239)
  • And many other minor improvements, mostly related to internals...
The build itself:
http://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previe ... (2228).zip
Any feedback is very welcome.

warpkanal

Re: build 2228 - connections manager & Dropbox VFS

Post by warpkanal » Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 am

Cool, I like the "dynamic" search field in the quick list! The connection manager is absolutely sufficient for my purposes. Can't comment on the dropbox stuff (don't really use dropbox...)

moonrak

Post by moonrak » Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey, nice addition this Dropbox stuff!
Any plans to include access to the iCloud Drive?
Regards,
moonrak

mike

Post by mike » Thu May 04, 2017 2:12 am

Thanks, folks!
moonrak wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 pm
Any plans to include access to the iCloud Drive?
I want to, but it's complicated (huh, what is not?).
iCloud Drive is implemented in a quite weird way, but I think it's possible to work it out.

In general, my goal here is to cover all major personal cloud storage providers (Google/Microsoft/Apple/Dropbox), but Dropbox was chosen as first since it's the most neutral among them.

swoop

Post by swoop » Fri May 05, 2017 12:16 pm

@mike Terrific job as usually! You are unstoppable...
mike wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:12 am
In general, my goal here is to cover all major personal cloud storage providers (Google/Microsoft/Apple/Dropbox), but Dropbox was chosen as first since it's the most neutral among them.
Well, I have a challenge for you (or actually it's a suggestion). What about MEGA.nz? It's a fantastic cloud storage (clientside-encrypted), 50GB free, source code reviewed. SDK is there for quite a while so I believe it's stable. It might be a niche, though...

Because it's client side-encrypted, its suitable for all your confidential business documents or other sensitive data. If I rememberer correctly, Crax developer was looking into it, but do result so far.
Total Commander (Windows 95 - Windows 7) (retired for Mac)
Nimble Commander (retired Crax, Commander One, DCommander)
Macbook 12" 2016 - macOS High Sierra

mike

Post by mike » Fri May 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks, swoop!

Speaking of Mega - well, basically, everything can be written, but there's no such thing as a free lunch...
Dropbox VFS took me about a month of work to build more or less stable codebase (~75Kb/~2KSLoc).
I suppose other cloud vfs'es could take something similar to write each of them.

swoop

Post by swoop » Fri May 12, 2017 2:40 pm

mike wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:52 pm
Speaking of Mega - well, basically, everything can be written, but there's no such thing as a free lunch...
Dropbox VFS took me about a month of work to build more or less stable codebase (~75Kb/~2KSLoc).
I suppose other cloud vfs'es could take something similar to write each of them.
@mike I knew it was a long shot. ;)

However, since you asked... and since NC is targeted towards the more technically savvy, I thought there might be "market" for Mega. On top of that, since any three-letter-named-buch-of-buggers can access all our cloud stored files, I thought a more secure service might be in place.

Thanks for your consideration!

swoop

Post by swoop » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:56 am

Recently I have decided to keep my workflow purely in Apple's golden cage (eco-system).

All is well, just for one thing - NC cannot access iCloud data (drive). My Documents and Desktop are synced to iCloud, thus that is not a problem, but I need to quickly access data created by iOS apps (ScannerPro) and that requires Finder and DragDrop. Not a huge inconvenience, but a bump on a otherwise very smooth ride.

Will it be possible to add iCloud as the next (fully) supported VFS (exposing only the data Finder does, etc.)? Cheers!

mike

Post by mike » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi swoop!
I think it's possible, although I can assume that this VFS will be a quite crippled one - Apple's API for iCloud Drive is very-very strange.
To say something more definite a small R&D is required.

swoop

Post by swoop » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 am

mike wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:37 pm
Hi swoop!
I think it's possible, although I can assume that this VFS will be a quite crippled one - Apple's API for iCloud Drive is very-very strange.
To say something more definite a small R&D is required.
That's excellent news. I know there are many requests / ideas, so you choose the battles, and if you have the time update us here.
Btw, since High Sierra should be a stabilisation release, maybe this might be easier in High Sierra?