build 1310 - new directory listings

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 1310 - new directory listings

Post by mike » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi everybody!

I've done some basic support for "flexible" listings, i.e. that may consist of items from some different locations (in theory even from a different virtual file systems). Sadly that wasn't a quick fix, git shows me "181 changed files with 3,297 additions and 4,501 deletions" for today's merge into main brach.
Anyway, I do hope that this refactoring results would be a good foundation for a lot of useful stuff in the future.

New goodies available currently:
1) "Panel" button in Find Files sheet, which, obviously, pushes search results into current panel.
There're some quirks with such "non-uniform" listings now - Files may do some crazy stuff or even crash, that's because since day 1 there was an assumption that any listing represents some directory in a filesystem (real or virtual one) and this logic was scattered throughout major part of a codebase. It will take some time to clear all these places.

2) Checksum verification for file copying routine.
I've added an option to specify if you want to verify results of a copying process.
By default it's set to "When moves", i.e. when you move files to, say, FTP server or a USB stick - Files will check results with MD5 hash and only if everything matched and was ok - it will remove source files.
(copying/renaming/moving routine was basically re-written entirely from scratch)

3) Extended Attributes virtual file system (xattr vfs).
This tiny vfs allows operating xattrs with a usual interface, representing attributes like a regular files.

Here's a link to current build:
http://filesmanager.info/downloads/prev ... (1310).zip
(
some some reason my El Capitan thinks that signature of app is broken and refuses to run it after it was downloaded from web.
if your's does the same - just remove quarantine flag of an app: xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Files.app
will investigate what is going on here
)

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on current results since this refactoring had really pissed me off :?

Mike.

achekulaev

Re: build 1310 - new directory listings

Post by achekulaev » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks for your work! That's a massive change! Testing it.
So far found 1 big problem: I can not navigate off the panel with "Go back" or any of dropdowns. The only way is to use main menu.
https://monosnap.com/file/MWhA9lD8pkDMn ... RrjUREHXnd
And after I use main menu History is broken (looses part of it)

One small ask about search. After search finishes (itself or by pressing stop button) could you move focus to the results listview if it contains 1 or more results

achekulaev

Post by achekulaev » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:05 pm

One more bug. No checkbox "remember choice" here.
By the way if you would agree it would be nice to rename it to "Apply to all" as "Remember choice" is a bit confusing.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:20 am

Hi achekulaev,
Thanks for all your feedback!
History with non-uniform listings is completely broken now, will fix it soon.

Updates on file search:
- focus moves to table view after search finished, as you've advised
- ctrl+V hotkey to view currently selected file
- I've done some UI-related optimizations with for huge workloads (like XX,000 entries), it works much faster now

As for copy routine:
- yep, some logic was broken for that checkbox
- renamed it to "apply to all"

Mike.