build 2371 - overhaul of file operations

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 2371 - overhaul of file operations

Post by mike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 am

Hi, folks,

It's been a long time without any visible changes, now finally this major overhaul has reached some maturity stage.
I basically rewrote an entire file operations infrastructure which was designed and written back in 2013.
That code has gradually become a burden which was slowing further development of NC.

So, apart from the internal overhaul, here's a list of visible changes:
  • Toolbar now has a much clearer operations display, which can resize with a window. In case of several concurrent operations running in a single window, this display now allows to switch between them much like iTunes does.
  • Error dialogs are much simpler now, I've removed Hide and Retry buttons. Also, now they appears immediately upon undesired event, not waiting to be shown as before.
  • File operations now can be enqueued for later execution. By default, up to 5 concurrent file operation can run inside a single window, any additional operations will await in a queue. Later this amount will be tunable in Preferences.
  • Symlinks operations are now also supported in SFTP VFS.
  • File attributes editing is now supported in SFTP VFS. Specifically: permissions, times and ownership. A cute detail here - NC can show a list of users/groups on a remote host, like it does on a local machine. MacOSX/Linux/xBSD hosts are supported.
  • A progress bar inside the Dock icon now shows an aggregate operations progress, not of a frontmost operation as it was before.
  • Now a completion of a long-running file operation ( >30s ) is indicated with a system notification.
  • Now every file operation has an ETA calculation, previously it was quite ad-hoc.
  • Now file operations record their progress dynamic, I plan to add graphs to visualize it later (much like Windows Explorer does nowadays).
  • Show Hidden Files shortcut was changed to "shift+cmd+.".
  • Fixed an issue with invalid item icons on VFS.
The build itself:
REMOVED DUE TO THE PROBLEM WITH THE BUILD

Any feedback is appreciated.

warpkanal

Re: build 2371 - overhaul of file operations

Post by warpkanal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:02 am

Like that development direction!
Haven't noticed problems so far (ok, only 1 day of usage so far)
Move to trash feels somehow snappier (but could be my imagination only :) )

bchuter

Post by bchuter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 pm

mike wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm
It's on its way. A preview build of v1.2.2 already has a concept of operations queue, with a default concurrency set to 5 operations, next build will allow to alter this value. When this value is set to 1, any subsequent file operation will wait in the queue until previous one is done.
Hi Mike
On the copy queue....
I think you need to add the option wether to queue the copy or not.
So hit "F5" copy popup menu appears, you then have an option to just hit "OK" which will copy the item/items as is or there is another button with "F2"
which allows you to specify that this copy should be put into a queue.
The way you have implemented it, does not give you a choice if you want the copy in a queue or not. So if you set your value to 1 all copies are queued. The problem with this method is....if i have just selected 100 Movie files of 1gig each that copy is going to take a while.....but in the meantime i want to just copy some small file items around....like documents or photos etc.....i now have to wait for the queue to finish before my documents or photos are copied.....i use this method all the time in TC. when im moving large amounts of data / files around i put them in a queue by hitting F2, i can then continue to navigate etc and still copy other items outside of the queue. Because im only copying smaller items outside of the queue the disk seek speed is not really hit hard as im only copying small files simultaneously.
With your method (with the current defualt of 5 before queue or no option to select to queue)
I have to start up 5 simultaneous file copies, which sends the hard drive into overdrive with seek time which actually slows your entire copy down due to the mad disk seeks to try and copy 5 files at the same time. If you were to change your default setting of 5 to 1 then you avoid the crazy disk seek issues mentioned but then you have no choice but to wait for the queue to finish before you can copy your next lot of items.
hope im making sense here.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bradley Chuter

swoop

Post by swoop » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:58 am

@Mike, I have found a bug in this build, but mentioned in another thread.
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1507#p1507
Total Commander (Windows 95 - Windows 7) (retired for Mac)
Nimble Commander (retired Crax, Commander One, DCommander)
Macbook 12" 2016 - macOS High Sierra

mike

Post by mike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 am

Guys, please, fall back to the stable release v1.2.1 - the issue mentioned here http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=280 is quite severe.
Sorry for the situation.

bchuter

Post by bchuter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:53 am

mike wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 am
Guys, please, fall back to the stable release v1.2.1 - the issue mentioned here http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=280 is quite severe.
Sorry for the situation.
Thanks Mike
Ive rolled back to stable release.
Bradley Chuter

swoop

Post by swoop » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 am

bchuter wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:53 am
mike wrote:
Sorry for the situation.
Thanks Mike
@bchuter
It appears you can go for the last preview build.
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1528#p1527
Total Commander (Windows 95 - Windows 7) (retired for Mac)
Nimble Commander (retired Crax, Commander One, DCommander)
Macbook 12" 2016 - macOS High Sierra

bchuter

Post by bchuter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 pm

swoop wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 am
bchuter wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:53 am
mike wrote:
Sorry for the situation.
Thanks Mike
@bchuter
It appears you can go for the last preview build.
http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1528#p1527
Thanks Swoop!! sorry only saw this message late....(had some brutal travel into Belgium - Liege from South Africa)
My first trip into the heart of Europe......quite the eye opener :P (Loving Europe btw)
Considering I dont speak french or Dutch hahahaha
Anyways im on the newest build that was released which has the fix for "our" copy problem ;)
Bradley Chuter

hugo187

Post by hugo187 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:37 pm

@Mike: Sorry, but would it be possible to put the Retry button back on the error dialog? Most of the time I see the error dialog when a file/dir doesn't have proper permissions (on a shared drive/SFTP). If that happens I usually ask the owner of that file to fix the permissions (which is usually one of the colleagues sitting with me in the office). Once the permissions are updated I'd like to continue the operation via the Retry button, but currently I have to cancel the whole operation and then start it again. This might be annoying when the operation involves hundreds of files and directories.

mike

Post by mike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:43 am

Oh, that's what I feared the most.
I mean, when you remove some functionality which seemingly nobody used and it turns out that somebody in fact did :)
Ok, lets discuss the issue - we're talking about any file operation or specifically about copying/moving?
Any description of use-cases which sometimes involved "retrying" might help a lot.