Pathname completion (e.g., via TAB keypress) [DONE]

Any wishes
chg

Pathname completion (e.g., via TAB keypress) [DONE]

Post by chg » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Anywhere a directory or file path can be entered, pathname completion should be provided (e.g., by pressing the TAB key).

Just one use case: the Rename/Move dialog.

mike

Re: Pathname completion (e.g., via TAB keypress)

Post by mike » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Done (perhaps partially) in build #2999.
Still need to decide about other dialogs whether autocompletion makes sense there.

darek

Post by darek » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 am

I see you went with Unix style completion. Personally, I like how Total Commander does it. It's more like hinting there, similar to how code completion (suggestions) work in code editors. So as soon as I start typing it starts suggesting me options, which I can either use or keep typing to override.

It's especially useful if I don't remember the name of the file or folder precisely. I start typing and as soon as the thing I'm looking for shows up I stop typing and use the suggestion. Unix style tab completion is more cumbersome since I'm never quite sure if I typed enough for it to find the right thing ;)

Just my 2c of feedback... ;)

mike

Post by mike » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Good idea, I like it.
It's a bit trickier on the UI side, but doable.
Let's keep eye on this in maybe version after v1.2.6.

Re typing enough: current implementation can actually show the entire directory listing even if nothing was typed.

mike

Post by mike » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 pm

It turns out that autocompletion in Copy/Move dialog was implemented, but is extremely hard to find.
At the moment NC uses there a default system hotkey to show the autocompletion popup, it’s Alt+Esc.

CNN

Re: Pathname completion (e.g., via TAB keypress) [DONE]

Post by CNN » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:15 pm

Alt+Esc? That's why I couldn't find it :)

Isn't that used like in some text editors for syntax completition? In the context of files and paths, I am more familiar with the usual (TAB) as used in Finder and bash/zsh shells. TAB even works with with Full Keyboard Access enabled for dialogs (well, sort of, you have to use shift+tab to move through the buttons backwards). Would be nice to have an option :)