Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
deseven

Crash when working with a remote server [FIXED]

Post by deseven » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 pm

NC 1.1.3
OS X 10.11.6

Step by step instructions:
1. Connect to any SFTP server.
2. Keep it opened, do something else for a while, work in other applications, etc - usual stuff.
3. Return to NC to see that navigation in the remote filesystem doesn't work anymore (can't change dirs or open files, spinner in the top left corner doesn't appear as usual).
4. Try to reconnect to the same server in the same panel.
5. Get a crash.

This crash doesn't activate apple crash reporter, NC just closes itself.
No additional info in Console or stdout/stderr.

There is no strong pattern in 2nd step, but it happens regularly for me. I thought that it related to the loss of connection, but i tried to manually turn off network or even stop remote ssh daemon and that way everything works fine. Maybe that's some kind of timeout issue?

If you have a debug version with advanced logging capabilities and/or crash-dump creation i can use it to help with this issue.

mike

Re: Crash when working with a remote server

Post by mike » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:56 am

I've encountered this issue before, but wasn't able to reproduce it under debugger.
Will try to investigate it again.

hugo187

Post by hugo187 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 am

I am getting this crash without any report as well sometimes. However, more common is situation when the server closes the connection and NC reports an error instead of reconnecting transparently.

Example scenario:
  1. Open SFTP connection
  2. Open a file on the server with an external editor
  3. SSH to the same server and kill the process (ps -u {USERNAME} | grep "ssh"; kill -15 {PROCESS_ID})
  4. Modify the opened file and save it
  5. NC tries to upload the file back to the server and shows "Failed to create a directory, Error: SSH error, Path: /"
  6. At this point I have to save the file locally, initiate a new connection via NC and re-upload the file manually

mike

Post by mike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 am

hugo187 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 am
Example scenario:
Open SFTP connection
Open a file on the server with an external editor
SSH to the same server and kill the process (ps -u {USERNAME} | grep "ssh"; kill -15 {PROCESS_ID})
Modify the opened file and save it
NC tries to upload the file back to the server and shows "Failed to create a directory, Error: SSH error, Path: /"
At this point I have to save the file locally, initiate a new connection via NC and re-upload the file manually
Ok, I was able to reproduce this glitch. It turns out to be an issue with error detection on ssh session level.
Fixed it; tried killing sshd's (I use Debian for tests) and editing remote text file with TextEdit, works fine now.
(fix didn't get into b2042)

mike

Post by mike » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:25 am

SIGPIPE crash issue was addressed in b2081: http://magnumbytes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 220&p=1161.