"reveal in nimble commander" only select folders

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
rail4you

"reveal in nimble commander" only select folders

Post by rail4you » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:28 am

The service "reveal in nimble commander" in my Mac has a strange problem. When I use this feature, NC only select the folder instead of opening the folder. Other file manager like finder open the folders directly.

I have reinstalled NC but the problem is not gone. I also changed the setting "defaults write -g NSFileViewer -string info.filesmanager.Files" and unset it, no use. I find there is a "granted filesystem access" setting but it is gray I can't reset it. Maybe "granted filesystem access" in my Mac is wrong?

mike

Re: "reveal in nimble commander" only select folders

Post by mike » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 am

Hm, yes, currently NC doesn't check if requested item is a directory or not.
So you say it should show contents of a directory instead?

rail4you

Post by rail4you » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:12 am

mike wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 am
Hm, yes, currently NC doesn't check if requested item is a directory or not.
So you say it should show contents of a directory instead?
Yes, I like to use default folder x to open favorite folders (The menu can be showed using a hotkey anywhere), default folder x can only use finder to open directory, so I emailed the author and he added "nimble commander support" in the newest version.

But I find I can only select a folder in nimble commander, it is less useful with dfx menu. If nimble commander shows contents of a directory directly. It will make default folder x more useful.

mike

Post by mike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 am

I've just checked the behavior of Finder - it does the same as NC (referring to "Services->Reveal in ...").
Probably I'm missing something here?

rail4you

Post by rail4you » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 am

You are right, "reveal in the file manager" just select folders. I used a wrong example, what I want is "show in the file manager", if a file manager has this type of service, some third party apps will open folders not select them, I find only "finder" and "path finder" has such service.

I use launchbar and default folder x frequently, and I want to use nimble commander instead of finder in these two apps. If I change the default file manager to nc, the "show in finder" function becomes "reveal in nc", it is good enough, I just wish my workflow perfect to open folder directly, maybe this is an apple problem, third party file managers can't use "show in xxxx" type function.

rail4you

Post by rail4you » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:23 am

https://binarynights.com/forklift/manual#fileviewer, I followed the steps and changed "forklift" to nc, I still can't open folders.
The second command didn't work.
defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices/com.apple.launchservices.secure LSHandlers -array-add '{LSHandlerContentType="public.folder";LSHandlerRoleAll="info.filesmanager.Files";}'

I used rcdefaultapp to check, it seems nc can't handle "public.folder", nc just revealed them as files.
Attachments
Capto_Capture 2018-02-06_11-21-06_上午.png
Capto_Capture 2018-02-06_11-21-06_上午.png (112.82 KiB) Viewed 10315 times

mike

Post by mike » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:10 am

Ok, that makes sense now.
NC receives only "public.file-url" and has no separate interface for "public.folder" to distinguish these requests.
Will look into it.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 am

Done, now there's a new service called "Open Folder in Nimble Commander", which shows content of a directory instead of revealing the directory itself.
Will be available in next preview build.