Can folder sizes remain calculated on folder change?

Any wishes
babmo

Can folder sizes remain calculated on folder change?

Post by babmo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:42 pm

If I have a list of folders and calculate all their sizes, I go into them one by one, the sizes disappear and I have to calculate again each time. It would be cool if they could be cached or something, for a certain time period or a number of folder changes. I know calculating is expensive, but maybe there can be a switch or a disk usage mode (folder sizes calculation always active) like terminal file managers?

Alternatively, can the panel preview for folders show the contents? Again, terminal file managers do that. I know it’s not the same thing, it’s just about the principle. The QuickLook preview of folders is pretty useless as it is now. Maybe size could be also shown there. Or maybe there is a way to show the terminal with tree command in the preview panel?

mike

Re: Can folder sizes remain calculated on folder change?

Post by mike » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:40 pm

I understand the frustration from the need to re-calculate the sizes. On the other hand, any caching of such data opens a can of words named "cache invalidation" and to my understanding there's no reliable way to know when the sizes become stale to flush them.
Could you alternatively adjust the workflow and use Alt+Enter to open a directory in the opposite panel?

ebuster

Post by ebuster » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:03 am

Just mark size as unclear after every change you not sure is it still actual, but do not hide it.
For examole, it was 15KB, but after some event, it can shows as ~15KB
So, we will know it may not be not truthful and need to be recalculated when needed.

mike

Post by mike » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:06 pm

If the software knew about such events - there won't be a problem of cache invalidation in the first place.
Unfortunately I'm not aware of a reliable mechanism providing this functionality.