Sidebar with tree view

Any wishes
JayB

Sidebar with tree view

Post by JayB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:54 pm

First post. Hello everyone!

EDIT: also migrated to GitHub (as two separate issues)

I've been looking into Rixstep's Xfile software, and a good thing to have would be an (optional!) sidebar with a tree view of the volume, drop down menus for quick navigation, toggle hidden files in sidebar (default on), but possibly a better way to access external volumes instead of going via /Volumes/:

Also nice would be an option to have more file information in the standard list window, e.g. inode, various datestamps etc., incl. size for folders.

Nimble Commander seems like a really great solution. I have to test it further, though.

mike

Re: Sidebar with tree view

Post by mike » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello JayB and welcome to the forum!
JayB wrote:I've been looking into Rixstep's Xfile software, and a good thing to have would be an (optional!) sidebar with a tree view of the volume, drop down menus for quick navigation, toggle hidden files in sidebar (default on), but possibly a better way to access external volumes instead of going via /Volumes/
I thought a few times about adding the sidebar for navigation option, but one thing strikes me against - all interaction with sidebars is tied to mouse controls. And I try to keep most functionality available with hotkeys, at least as much as possible.
As for toggling hidden files on and off - didn't get the point here (there's already a hotkey to do it).
JayB wrote:Also nice would be an option to have more file information in the standard list window, e.g. inode, various datestamps etc., incl. size for folders.
Yep, I plan to add inodes/owners/perm info as list columns.
It would be great to see some real-life usage of that data in UI-based app although, since it's the worst thing to do - to write something that wouldn't be used after.

JayB

Re: Sidebar with tree view

Post by JayB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Understand; big fan of LaunchBar here, and as they say: "keep your hands on the keyboard". :) As for the toggle hidden, that would be a second toggle option only for the sidebar (if there ever is any; that's up to you), apart from the toggle hidden for the main file windows.