Toggle file extension

Any wishes
JayB

Toggle file extension

Post by JayB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Could be an additional tool/command, but I don't know in which menu it should go.

Toggle file extension: if a file, bundle etc. has a file extension, e.g. "DiskImage.dmg", toggle would hide ".dmg", producing "DiskImage" only. Vice versa, if a file has a hidden extension, e.g. an .app bundle in /Applications or a service in $HOME/Library/Services, toggle would show the extension, producing "GreatService.workflow", "GreatApp.app" etc.

Possible? This seems to be part of macOS extended attributes again. ;) And I tested it with the SetFile command (part of Xcode), and while the xattr for extension visibility is changed from 0 to 1 and vice versa, it has no effect on what it looks like in Nimble Commander. So it seems NC is disregarding xattr for the most part, correct?

mike

Re: Toggle file extension

Post by mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am

Nimble Commander already implements something similar, called "localized filenames".
It basically lets defining any "visible" name for a filesystem entry:
Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 16.20.21.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 16.20.21.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 6565 times
Speaking of hiding file extensions panel-wide - I really doubt it can be a useful feature for this app.
Basically, if someone wants to avoid seeing file extensions, there's a high chance that casual tools like Finder might fit better.

JayB

Post by JayB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Maybe it's feasible to add a Finder extended attributes panel, in the same manner that there's a panel for "File Attributes" in "Command". That way Nimble Commander could still disregard these attributes in terms of GUI, but it would still be open for the user to inspect and edit them, if he so chooses. (?)

mike

Post by mike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:39 am

Yeah, it can be written, but why it has to be in this app at all?
It's mostly unrelated with main file management duties.
There's a support for external tools, and any suitable "Finder's attributes editor" can do.

Frankly, I think you're highly overestimating the amount of resources I have.
Adding, for example, this feature alone, can easily take a month to design, implement, test and polish.
And it would mean delaying dozens of other features, some of which are already waiting for years to be written...