Do not queue MKDIR / DELETE operations [DONE]

Any wishes
swoop

Do not queue MKDIR / DELETE operations [DONE]

Post by swoop » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:08 pm

For some time, I tried working around it, but now I have to ask for this feature.

I have NC set to Allow "1" simultaneous file operations - when copying files over the line or on slow drives, this actually doesn't slow down the operations. However, quite often when I'm moving files and folders I hit a wall in user experience.

I'd welcome if I could create Folders without the creation being queued. That will allow me to create a folder while other files are already being copied and then I can queue other files to be copied in the newly created folder. The same holds for deleting files and folders.

Can 'folder creation' and 'delete' action be taken out of queuing? They are in nature 'atomic' actions. Also, (don't kill me for this) TC does it that way as well.

Something like
(•) Do not queue 'Create Folder' actions
( ) Do not queue 'Delete' actions

Or maybe we could have a button on (all?) file operations to skip queue?
Total Commander (Windows 95 - Windows 7) (retired for Mac)
Nimble Commander (retired Crax, Commander One, DCommander)
Macbook 12" 2016 - macOS High Sierra

pwu

Re: Do not queue MKDIR / DELETE operations

Post by pwu » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:06 pm

Just bought NC and it's really the best file manager EVER. I was looking for something like this for a long time after I've switched from Windows to Mac and finally found it. Thank you, Mike, great job!

I'm here to join this request, I've got the same problem for simultaneous copy/move operations. I've allowed only one at once (because of speed and if I need to copy some files from CF card to one place and then move them from CF to backup HDD). Everything works fine except creating new folders. You need to create all folders first and then copy/move - not very convenient way to do it.

Is it possible to take them out of queuing or just allow perform action in the queue be executed instantly?

Thank you and have a nice day!

mike

Post by mike » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 pm

Sigh... ok.
Essentially what you ask for is a list of exceptions, i.e. types of operations, that would never be queued, am I reading this right?
Or, vice versa, an editable list of operation that should be queued.

pwu

Post by pwu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:04 pm

yes, right, absolutely! I will really appreciate this option! And i think as many others - this thread has a lot of views :-)

thank you in advance and have a nice day!

pwu

Post by pwu » Wed May 05, 2021 12:04 pm

Just one clarification from my side - it looks like everything is fine with DELETE operation - it might took long time for large bunch of files (especially if you execute DELETE for files in different locations) so it's good to keep it in a queue. and as for MKDIR - it will be really useful to be able to skip queue for it - it's really atomic action (you can create one folder at once and it doesn't take much time) and I often have to open new window, navigate to the folder, create some subfolders and than come back to previous windows to add some copy/move operations into the queue (since you are not always know what folders you need to create if you have large bunch of copy/move operations)

hope it has sense!

thank you in advance

mike

Post by mike » Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 pm

Yes, it all makes sense.

One detail I'd disagree though - directory creation is NOT an "atomic" operation in this terminology.
While in the overwhelming majority of cases it is indeed a single filesystem operation (modulo checks and everything), directory creation can spawn an arbitrary number of entries in the process.
Example: F7 -> type A/B/C/D/E/F/G -> Enter.
Now imagine executing this on a cloud storage like Box.com via WebDAV.
I wouldn't call this "atomic" in any capacity...

pwu

Post by pwu » Sat May 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Yes, you are absolutely right.

Might some kind of priority system be a possible solution? Like pausing queue execution to let system execute MKDIR first? Even possibility to skip (pause and then resume) some operations in a queue will be enough - not automised but still fine :)

pwu

Post by pwu » Thu May 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Just noticed - the same is for inline rename - you can do it, but after hitting enter you will need to wait until all queue operations will finish - can't even navigate through files/directories

mike

Post by mike » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:10 am

pwu wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:14 pm
Just noticed - the same is for inline rename - you can do it, but after hitting enter you will need to wait until all queue operations will finish - can't even navigate through files/directories
I'm finally working on this customisability.
Just to clarify - inline renaming is a the same Copy/Move/Rename operation but kickstarted via a more lightweight interface.

mike

Post by mike » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:30 pm

This option was added in build 3704: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=597