Auto update for the standalone version [DONE]

Any wishes
Kabuto

Auto update for the standalone version [DONE]

Post by Kabuto » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:09 am

I'm using the standalone version of Files (i.e. direct download, non Mac-AppStore one) at work, as it is the only one with terminal support. And I often find myself in the following situation:
I'm doing stuff at work, perhaps reading Jira tickets, doing code reviews or working on a project in Xcode. I'm in the flow, I'm focused on doing something. Then, I need to look at a file, I open Files and there is a new version popup. Here I'm presented with a choice - break the focus and update or dismiss the dialog and don't get new awesome features. The issue for me is that the update is a manual process, and somewhat annoying at that. You have to go to the website, download, mount, close Files, drag and drop, select the correct item in the copy dialog, delete the downloaded installer, run Files again. After doing all this I usually have hard time remembering what I was focusing on before. And if I dismiss the dialog, I forget to update later and the same situation happens later again. The issue could seem minor, but it is quite frustrating for me :) Perhaps there are other people whose experiences are the same :)

So, what would be nice is an auto update feature, where Files downloads and installs updates automatically. The best case if I could tell it to always update without asking, so it would download update while I'm using it, install it on exit and present "I was updated! These are the new features: ..." popup when started afterwards.

don

Re: Auto update for the standalone version

Post by don » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:09 am

I feel your pain.

The feature would be very much welcome. Akin to what IntelliJ does - a pop up is an offer of auto updating.

Downloading and installing an update manually is indeed a nuisance. Would love that.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:35 am

All right,
I've included an auto-update mechanism into Files and 1.0.8->1.0.9 will be the last manual update.
Next updates will be handled by Sparkle framework.

achekulaev

Post by achekulaev » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:39 am

Neat!