Ability to Customize Toolbar Icons and Toolbar Tooltips

Any wishes

Ability to Customize Toolbar Icons and Toolbar Tooltips

Post by Sticky » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 am

Hello,
A few of my tools are just simple terminal commands, there is no application associated with them. For example: caffeinate, or shasum. When I put any of those tools on my toolbar, they don't have an icon so they show as empty space. Most of the time I remember which one is which (and the ones I use the most have hotkeys assigned) but it would be a nice feature to be able to customize the icon file that is used, or at least have a default icon.

It would also be nice if the tooltip included the name of the tool in addition to showing the hotkey.

If you know of a workaround in the meantime, that would be great. Thanks!

mike

Re: Ability to Customize Toolbar Icons and Toolbar Tooltips

Post by mike » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi Sticky,

Unfortunately now the tooltips are occupied solely with tools' hotkeys.
I've made an adjustment to show a tool's name there as well, however this fix will available only in a next preview build.

PS
Ah, regarding icons - NC uses the generic system mechanics to pick them, so putting your custom icon for a file will do the trick.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... lp2313/mac
(also check that a full path is specified, otherwise NC wouldn't know where to extract an icon from)

Post by Sticky » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:47 pm

mike wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:28 pm
regarding icons - NC uses the generic system mechanics to pick them, so putting your custom icon for a file will do the trick.
I don't think that will help in my case since there is no file involved so there would be no way to use a custom icon. Or am I missing something? If there's a workaround, please let me know.

Here's an example of a few of the tools I have defined that don't have any icon on the toolbar:
Tool title: SHA-1 Verify
Application: shasum
Parameters: -a 1 %p

Tool title: MD5 Verify
Application: md5
Parameters: %p

Tool title: Caffeinate (5hrs)
Application: caffeinate
Parameters: -t 18000
(I have several variations of these, 1.5hrs, 3hrs, 5hrs, or until cancelled).

Hopefully those examples make it more clear the kinds of tools I'm talking about, I have others, too. :-) Thanks!

mike

Post by mike » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:52 am

I see. Well, there's a workaround, a bit ugly but will work.
You can create one-liner wrapper scripts (simply bash) for the tools and assign icons to those files.
It's clumsy but I'm afraid it's the only way forward for now.