Map delete key to "Move to trash"

Any wishes
gentux

Map delete key to "Move to trash"

Post by gentux » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi

I have a pro keyboard with dedicated delete key (Backspace with arrow right).
I am unable to remap the default command + backspace command within settings. Also I cannot map the Delete (F8) to it.

As the key only beeps when I hit it, I don't think a hard mapping in your code would be a problem either.

But other than that I already heavily used Nimble Commander and I quite like it.
I have some more suggestions like Touch Bar support, automatic dark/bright theme switching based on OS theme, a bottom bar with all the commands would also be handy. But deleting with one key would be the best improvement with little effort I hope.

Best regards and thanks for your work

mike

Re: Map delete key to "Move to trash"

Post by mike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Thanks for reporting, it looks like a bug.
I just checked and F10 works as expected, while F8 doesn't.
I'll check what's going on.

A non-functional single key is tricky to map however, as it doesn't integrate with macOS menu system well.
That is why NC refuses to accept a backspace without a modifier for that action.

gentux

Re: Map delete key to "Move to trash"

Post by gentux » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:56 pm

You're right! I didn't even think about trying it in Finder.

I find it a really odd and counter-intuitive behaviour, the forward delete key deletes a mail in Apple Mail and a song in Apple Music but not a photo in the Photos app, a selected conversation in messages or a file in finder. How does that even make sense for a company proclaiming ease of use?

Oh why Apple why, it could be so easy, the new M1 MacBook Pro is almost perfect but then they fail at these easy things it almost makes one cry.

Hope you find an easy fix, this one thing would make my life, as when I navigate files using the arrow keys that button is just in reach to get rid of the selected file.