Command line

Any wishes
mike

Re: Command line

Post by mike » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:02 am

don wrote:G'day.
What do you mean by:
Although, no regular letters routing for now.
Can't wait till the next beta release. What's cooking?
When focus is on the panels - no key pressed event would be routed into overlapped terminal in that build.
I've added an option to do so in last preview 1187.

As for plans - I think I'll work a bit on history / upper dirs navigation list.

don

Post by don » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:55 am

Just a friendly poke in regards of a well sought after feature...

I am half way there with the current implementation, so can not wait for further developments.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:34 am

don wrote:Just a friendly poke in regards of a well sought after feature...
I am half way there with the current implementation, so can not wait for further developments.
Hi don!

Hmm... huh?
We're talking about routing regular keyboard input into overlapped terminal or am I missing something here?
Routing into overlapped terminal is available for three months now.
(I personally use it every day and it seems to be quite convenient)

Mike.

don

Post by don » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:04 am

Indeed it is. But If I understand correctly it still requires a shortcut to switch between the panels and the terminal window.

Ideally I would like to avoid it. With how I use it would be easy to predict where the input should be routed. If it is a character -> terminal window. Navigation keys or anything that involves modifier key -> panels.

Also, it seems that there are two terminals - overlapped and in the background (kind of). My preference would be to converge on one. If possible of course. I do not use the one behind the scenes much. And removing the panels completely to show the output in the overlay terminal would be really helpful.

Do you see what I am getting at?

mike

Post by mike » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 am

don wrote:Indeed it is. But If I understand correctly it still requires a shortcut to switch between the panels and the terminal window.

Ideally I would like to avoid it. With how I use it would be easy to predict where the input should be routed. If it is a character -> terminal window. Navigation keys or anything that involves modifier key -> panels.

Also, it seems that there are two terminals - overlapped and in the background (kind of). My preference would be to converge on one. If possible of course. I do not use the one behind the scenes much. And removing the panels completely to show the output in the overlay terminal would be really helpful.

Do you see what I am getting at?
Hmm.. for clarification - did you turn "route keyboard input into overlapped terminal" checkbox on?
It seems that we're missing that pesky option :)

don

Post by don » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:01 am

Indeed it was. It was hidden by he size of the window - I did not even know it was there.

That's fantastic! Thank you.

May I bug you with yet another question?

- Is it possible to preserve the size of the panels so the command line is always visible?
Every time I restart they are back to bottom

mike

Post by mike » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:59 am

don wrote:Indeed it was. It was hidden by he size of the window - I did not even know it was there.

That's fantastic! Thank you.

May I bug you with yet another question?

- Is it possible to preserve the size of the panels so the command line is always visible?
Every time I restart they are back to bottom
Hello don,

Finally it is possible!
Here's a link for preview with this functionality: http://filesmanager.info/downloads/prev ... (1365).zip.

Now every window which is closing will save it's bottom gap and newly created one will restore that value.
I'm personally a bit against it, since these white-on-black letters with blinking cursor are not for free - now if saved value for a bottom gap is > 0 then a separate Bash process will be created for every Files window. Surely it consumes a tiny amount of RAM and doesn't consume CPU when inactive, but process is a heavy object anyway.

Mike.

don

Post by don » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:47 pm

Thank you. This is exactly what I was after.

Personally I do not mind an extra bash shell - on the contrary - it is a very small price to pay to get what I need for my workflow.

Next step - can we get the cursor blinking when "Route input to shell" is ticked on? At the moment it looks like this:
Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 9.46.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 9.46.23 AM.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
The idea is that the input is routed there anyway - so there is not point to make a distinction between active and non active terminal.

What do you think?

darek

Post by darek » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:17 am

It's not really "active" though. Even if routing is on, you can't use arrow keys to move the cursor in the command line, for example. You have to focus there to do that. So the distinction between has-focus / doesn't-have-focus is important. The current implementation seems fine too me.

darek

Post by darek » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Mike, I've just realized what Total Commander does right about that whole "command line at the bottom" thing. I knew something was feeling a tiny bit off in Files, like it was almost there but a bit more cumbersome than it should :)

So, in TC you have this routing to terminal enabled as well, but as soon as you type anything, the focus actually switches to the bottom terminal first and your character gets typed in. From now on you're able to use the terminal in all its glory: arrow keys move cursor, shift+arrows select pieces of text, you can copy, paste etc. Awesome.

If you want to move the cursor back to the file panels, you can press either:

* up/down arrow - keeps the content of the terminal
* esc - clears the bottom terminal

Regardless of whether you have focused terminal or the file panel:

* ctrl+enter - inserts the name of the file pointed in currently selected panel at the cursor point at the bottom terminal
* ctrl+shift+enter - inserts the full path to the file

It's all quite clever, because there's no confusion where the input is going. You either have the focus on the panels or on the command line. The trick is that when you press "a" for example, the focus is first quickly shifted to the command line and then "a" gets typed.