Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 1341 - new directory listings, Pt. II

Post by mike » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:52 am

Hi all!

Here's a second preview of version 1.1.0:
http://filesmanager.info/downloads/prev ... (1341).zip

News on the last week:
- Deletion was rewritten from scratch, now this operation supports working with non-uniform listings
(secure deletion was removed, presumably no one really used it)
- Temporary panels now can be updated, i.e. you can move or delete items in it and panel will reflect changes
- Many bug fixes and minor improvements

Mike.

achekulaev

Re: build 1341 - new directory listings, Pt. II

Post by achekulaev » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:31 pm

Bugs noticed:
1) Favorites menu and History menu are still not working from Panel
2) Hitting 'Escape' in this dialog should mean 'Abort'. Currently it clicks 'Hide' which is very confusing.

Feature requests:
1) Please make a way to open directory that contains a file from within Panel
2) if search in in progress can Escape only stop it, not close whole search window?
3) Currently Cmd+[ does not work in panel (logically it should do the same as Cmd+up does there)

achekulaev

Post by achekulaev » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Иногда на битых файлах Files пытается в него входить как в папку :)
Вот например недокачанный avi (распакуйте)
Если нажать Enter выглядит вот так https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp6j2luykw6zy ... 2.gif?dl=0

mike

Post by mike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:40 am

achekulaev wrote:Bugs noticed:
1) Favorites menu and History menu are still not working from Panel
2) Hitting 'Escape' in this dialog should mean 'Abort'. Currently it clicks 'Hide' which is very confusing.

Feature requests:
1) Please make a way to open directory that contains a file from within Panel
2) if search in in progress can Escape only stop it, not close whole search window?
3) Currently Cmd+[ does not work in panel (logically it should do the same as Cmd+up does there)
achekulaev,
thanks for all your feedback!

History should work OK with the latest preview build. As for Favourites - not sure here, was not able to reproduce the issue.

Escape behaviour in operations dialogs was made that way for reason. I think that aborting a file operation should require some level of attention, not just mechanically hitting an Esc button.

As for your requests:
1) Done! I've split alt+enter behaviour for directories and regular files and either way it now supports non-uniform listings.
2) Made it.
3) Should work now as usual.

Upd:
Oh, regarding some invalid files, which Files sometimes happily opens as archives.
That's a complex question and I think that current Files behaviour on Enter button should be changed.
I imagine that moving entering-into-archives functionality in cmd+down hotkey would be better.
And this will remove misunderstanding when somebody hits Enter on docx/xlsx/etc and Files shows archive's content instead of opening it in system.

Mike.

darek

Post by darek » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:26 am

Hey Mike, it looks like it's relatively safe now to give that new build a try :) I'll install it today.

As for real achives vs MSOffice/LibreOffice files. Total Commander has a good approach to this, I think:
* ENTER always does the most sensible thing, the behavior you'd probably want most often, that is: view the archive if it's a zip, launch the app if it's a document (you can make a list of extensions that are to be treated as docs and the rest will be archives).
* CTRL+PAGEDOWN always opens the archive, regardless of the extension (http://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Tot ... der_8.html)
* SHIFT+ENTER always runs whatever's under cursor, even if it's an archive

ENTER should be smart enough to pick the best and most common option. I usually want to view the archive, but open the doc. And for special cases there can be special shortcuts :)

mike

Post by mike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:24 pm

darek wrote: As for real achives vs MSOffice/LibreOffice files. Total Commander has a good approach to this, I think:
* ENTER always does the most sensible thing, the behavior you'd probably want most often, that is: view the archive if it's a zip, launch the app if it's a document (you can make a list of extensions that are to be treated as docs and the rest will be archives).
* CTRL+PAGEDOWN always opens the archive, regardless of the extension (http://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Tot ... der_8.html)
* SHIFT+ENTER always runs whatever's under cursor, even if it's an archive

ENTER should be smart enough to pick the best and most common option. I usually want to view the archive, but open the doc. And for special cases there can be special shortcuts :)
That sounds like a quite reasonable approach.
Ok, so I'll write some list of extensions,
- by Enter will try to open file as an archive if it has an appropriate extension
- by Cmd+Down will try open file as an archive regardless
- and Shift+Enter opens file in system regardless

mike

Post by mike » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:44 am

Guys,

Ok, as said, I've put a whitelist (currently consist of zip, tar, pax, cpio, xar, lha, ar, cab, mtree, iso, bz2, gz, bzip2, gzip, 7z, rar) by which Files will decide if it should try to open item as an archive by Enter key.
So, no more Word/Excel internals by default :)

By Cmd+Down it will try regardless of extension.
That whitelist is editable in defaults if necessary.
Will be available in next preview.

Mike.