build 1362 - new directory listings, Pt. III

Post by mike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:27 am

Greetings!

Here are next steps in current refactoring of Files:
http://filesmanager.info/downloads/prev ... (1362).zip

News:
- unix attributes changing operation now supports non-uniform listings
- history navigation now works after feeding search results into panel
- Menu->File->Open in Opposite Panel (alt+enter) functionality was extended to show regular files and to support non-uniform listing. So in search results panel you can hit alt+enter on a file and opposite panel will open it's parent directory and focus that file
- fixed issue with initially not active text field in Copy/CopyAs/Move/MoveAs
- hitting Esc in FindFiles sheet with searching going on will stop it without closing a sheet itself
- FindFiles now permits searching for anything without any filters

Mike.

darek

Re: build 1362 - new directory listings, Pt. III

Post by darek » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 am

Mike, just tried it and here's the thing:

* The BIG one: copying, moving, etc doesn't work anymore. F5, F6 seem to change the focus away from the main window, but don't actually bring the dialog window up. Two things: I'm on Yosemite here and I remember changind the system setting to make these kind of window appear faster. Neither of which were a problem in version 1.0.9.
* I've noticed that the feed to panel function shows full paths for files. Is this necessary? Perhaps we could make them relative to the directory where the search was started.
* Will it be possible to do batch rename on the list of found files? Sometimes it's a godsend to be able to do this :)
* Cosmetic, very low priority: I think these font sizes should match:
ff.jpg
ff.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 11785 times

mike

Post by mike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:18 pm

Oh, great, it turns out that 10.10 and 10.11 have some differences in behaviour of UI subsystem. (I personally use El Capitan already)
Welcome to compatibility hell :)

Here's a fixed build:
http://filesmanager.info/downloads/prev ... (1363).zip

darek

Post by darek » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:37 am

Yeah, Apple has a weird approach to backwards compatibility. The like to break stuff and assume developers are there to update their software. Which makes me feel uneasy with each system upgrade, because I know that some tools I use are sure to stop working. I prefer the Windows way, where things made 20 years ago still work in Windows 10.

Anyway, just tried files-1.1.0(1363) on Yosemite and:

* the copy/move sheets are appearing properly now
* the input in them gets focus properly, but aText doesn't work properly: http://filesmanager.info/forum/viewtopi ... p=227#p227

mike

Post by mike » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 am

darek wrote: * the input in them gets focus properly, but aText doesn't work properly: http://filesmanager.info/forum/viewtopi ... p=227#p227
Darek,

I've played with that aText tool and really have no idea why it behaves so in Copy sheet.
Even more, on my 10.11 it does work there, but only after any key was pressed before. After it was - works perfectly.
From the technical aspect that sheet and textbox does not differ from many others in Files, where that tool works ok.
Or, at least, I can't see what can differ there.

Mike.

darek

Post by darek » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 am

Yeah, exactly. After I press something (like an arrow key) aText works. It just doesn't work right after the window shows. And it happens only in this place, as far as I can tell. Other input fields in Files work well. Strange stuff :)

achekulaev

Post by achekulaev » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Is there a way to stop copying procedure from keyboard?

mike

Post by mike » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:54 am

darek wrote:* I've noticed that the feed to panel function shows full paths for files. Is this necessary? Perhaps we could make them relative to the directory where the search was started.
Currently I've decided to show full file paths only when Full/View view mode is toggled.
With Short/Medium view modes - full file path of a focused item is shown below file panel (with size and modification date).
darek wrote:* Will it be possible to do batch rename on the list of found files? Sometimes it's a godsend to be able to do this :)
I've made this possible recently - just feed search results into panel and use batch renaming as usual.
However this can be dangerous, since you can rename directories along with files inside it and currently there's no protection against it.
achekulaev wrote:Is there a way to stop copying procedure from keyboard?
Sorry, currently you have to use mouse to stop it.
I'll think about controlling it from keyboard.