Build 3441 - M1, Big Sur remedies, automatic deselection

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

Build 3441 - M1, Big Sur remedies, automatic deselection

Post by mike » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:29 pm

Hi folks,

Here's the first preview build of a universal NC binary for both x86-64 and arm64.
I can't say that adding support for a second architecture was a smooth ride, but for sure it went much faster than expected - it took less than a week. Thanks to decent tooling and convergence of Arm and Intel architectures, it's a bearable tasks nowadays.

Apart from that:
  • Fixed some of the most hideous incompatibilities with BigSur. This process of updating for BigSur is far from complete, as this this OS release brings quite significant changes, especially on the UI side.
  • Automatic deselection of panel items once a file operation with them is complete.
  • Updating date-sensitive time representations like 'Today' when a system date changes. Previously NC could show stall dates.
  • Dropped support for macOS versions before 10.15 Catalina. This one however I aim to support for quite a while.
  • Built-in terminal now supports outputting either a command stream or a raw input. To enabled it, click "Help" menu while holding Alt/Opt and click "Debug->Print VT100 commands" or "Debug->Print raw terminal input". After that, NC will start printing this data into its own stdout stream. Such info could be really useful if issues with the new terminal are encountered.
  • A bit of a technical detail, but nonetheless: NC's internal are now contained in a single binary file, instead of multiple dylib's/frameworks. This doesn't matter much for preview builds, as they are built in Debug mode. For releases, however, this will provide a bit faster startup and a tiny bit better overall performance.
As usual you feedback is very welcome. Here's the link:
https://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previ ... (3441).dmg

Thanks and stay safe!

darek

Re: Build 3441 - M1, Big Sur remedies, automatic deselection

Post by darek » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:46 pm

it went much faster than expected - it took less than a week
Oh man, that's definiely longer that I would expect. Kudos to you!

darek

Post by darek » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Ouch, updated to this preview build and now it says my license has expired, it won't accept my old license key and the only option is to either Buy or Quit 😬What can a guy do here?

darek

Post by darek » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:55 pm

Crisis averted! I was able to roll back to nimble-commander-preview-1.2.8(3308).dmg successfully. But there's something fishy about the license in the new version. I'm on Catalina 10.15.7.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:24 pm

darek wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:52 pm
Ouch, updated to this preview build and now it says my license has expired, it won't accept my old license key and the only option is to either Buy or Quit 😬What can a guy do here?
Sorry, Darek, that was an embarrassingly stupid issue... 🤦‍♂️
I updated the build, the URL is the same.

moonrak

Post by moonrak » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks guys, I hadn't even noticed that I as not registered after the update.
Downloading and installing the new build fixed it.
Which bring me to a question for Mike.
When I registered Nimble Commander I used an email account (@hotmail.com style) that I no longer have and switched to @outlook.com for a fresh start without the tons of spam I was receiving.
The license still works, can this be a problem in a future? I mean, I will not be able to validate that old email address.
Regards,
Carlos

mike

Post by mike » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:25 am

moonrak wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:49 am
Which bring me to a question for Mike.
When I registered Nimble Commander I used an email account (@hotmail.com style) that I no longer have and switched to @outlook.com for a fresh start without the tons of spam I was receiving.
The license still works, can this be a problem in a future? I mean, I will not be able to validate that old email address.
I think there shouldn't be a problem, but if you want - I can create you a new license with the updated email address.
Just drop me your info.