Build 3736 - opening compressed files

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

Build 3736 - opening compressed files

Post by mike » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:47 pm

Hi all,

Here's the next preview build of NC, now v1.4.

What's new:
  • Updated the icon to be squarish;
  • Now NC supports opening compressed / non-archived files, i.e. with these extensions: .bz2, .gz, .lz, .lz4, .lzma, .lzo, .xz, .z, .zst. There are some limitations though - this new VFS expands the compressed file immediately into memory when opening, hence there is a limit to its expanded size. Right now I set it to 64Mb;
  • Added two new hotkeys: Shift+Cmd+Left/Right to focus the left/right panel.
  • Fixed the issue with moving files into the ".." directory. (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=609)
  • Fixed a performance degradation when calculating directories sizes in a massive listing (say with thousands entries).
  • Giant file listings (i.e. with 10k+ entires) are now sorted using multiple CPU cores, which results in a better responsiveness.
  • Fixed a QuickLook crash when switching between some PDF files. Or, rather, worked around it - Apple still ignores the problem. Now NC has an internal list of "hazardous" extensions, for which the widget is completely reset before showing another item. That results in a tiny flicker. The list is editable in the configuration as "filePanel.presentation.quickLookHazardousExtensionsList".
  • Fixed an issue with dragging a file into NC when a Full Disk Access was not granted, which could end up in an error.
  • More performance optimisations across the codebase.
Here's the link to the build itself:
https://magnumbytes.com/downloads/previ ... (3736).dmg

Your feedback is welcome.

Thanks and stay safe,
Michael

piratx

Re: Build 3736 - opening compressed files

Post by piratx » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 am

Thank you so much Mike!

Ray_msw

Post by Ray_msw » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:09 pm

Using v1.4: Wondering if/when zip files can be modified, eg rename, add and delete (as in "Commander One")

Lee181

Post by Lee181 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:06 am

Ray_msw wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:09 pm
Using v1.4: Wondering if/when zip files can be modified, eg rename, add and delete (as in "Commander One")
I second that! Manipulating zips is what I am missing most!
(I am coming from Total Commander@Windows, switched to macOS, tried Commander One, fell in love with Nimble Commander)

If I may add a further wish, that would be: Editing files inside of zips (with internal or external editor) and saving it back to the zip automatically.
(Commander One does this pretty well but the rest of it isn't even close as cool as Nimble Commander)