build 1165 - overlapped terminal draft

Alpha/Beta versions for early access to new half-cooked features
mike

build 1165 - overlapped terminal draft

Post by mike » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:10 am

Hi everybody!

Here's a preview version of what is going on the field of overlapped terminal integration:
http://filesmanager.info/downloads/prev ... (1165).zip

I've done some basic stuff here and any feedback on current status would be much appreciated.
Keymap: ( hardcoded for now and may change )
ctrl+alt+up - increase bottom gap for overlapped terminal
ctrl+alt+down - decrease bottom gap for overlapped terminal
ctrl+alt+o - hide/show file panels completely to show full contents of terminal
ctrl+alt+tab - move focus between file panels and terminal

Currently Files tries to hold file panels and overlapped terminal in sync - so when navigating in file panels it will silently push "cd" command to terminal shell and when you're moving manually in shell it will react on cwd changes and force file panels to show the same directory.

What do you think on it?

Mike.

azadkuh

Re: build 1165 - overlapped terminal draft

Post by azadkuh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 am

Nice feature,

it would be great if the command lines of the terminal start upside down, and then scroll up, as the other terminals normally do.

and that white separator line looks redundant.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:33 am

azadkuh wrote:Nice feature,
it would be great if the command lines of the terminal start upside down, and then scroll up, as the other terminals normally do.
and that white separator line looks redundant.
Hi, azadkuh,

Separator line is just a debug stuff, don't pay attention to it. ( it shows a border between "real" terminal screen and scrollback space )

Regarding terminal growing, scrolling and size. There're many tricks working under the hood, primarily to permit keeping the bottom gap as small as possible without hurting a productivity (for sake of saving screen space, of course).
For example - many-many command-line tools uses just a few lines of output to deliver their results, so IMHO it's sufficient to keep this bottom gap only 1-3 lines high for most cases.
On the other hand - constantly resizing a terminal screen as bottom gap changes in not a great idea. So in fact the terminal screen buffer occupies all view space, but in this terminal mode Files tries to calculate an amount of lines really used and adjust them so the most recent output (usually the bottommost used line) is always visible at the bottom.
Hoping this did shed some light on the whole idea.

achekulaev

Post by achekulaev » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:36 am

Nice feature. Couple of things:

1) Would like to visually see when terminal is focused or not. See https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zu1f6s8637vmrs ... 7.png?dl=0
2) minor cursor glitch in this version. After context menu popup or window blur/focus cursor changes to "text" instead of default arrow in current panel

don

Post by don » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Great stuff. Thank you for sharing the beta - takes the huge pain off from me.

Seconding the request to highlight if the terminal is selected.

Also, CTRL-ALT-TAB is unusable IMHO - requires two hands (or am I missing something).

I understand CTRL-TAB is reserved for moving between tabs.
But could it please be included as an option in the keyboard shortcuts so one could redefine?
Myself I do not use tabs at all. I prefer to open a new window (might be because I am new to mac).

don

Post by don » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Also, ALT-CMD-O terminal seems to have its own output.

From my perspective it should be the same - i.e. A-C-O should just remove the panes.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:50 am

Guys, thanks for responses and please take a look at last build 1176.

achekulaev,
Terminal cursor is changing it's state in last preview I've just uploaded.
System's mouse cursor is my headache - yep, sometimes system doesn't change it... will try to investigate it somehow.

don,
I personally have no problems with hitting ctrl+alt+tab with left hand alone, but OK - I'll try to make all these shortcuts configurable.
Currently "overlapped terminal" and "full-window terminal" are absolutely separated ones.
Not sure if they should share screens and tasks, perhaps add this option later.