Renaming file/folder fails on NFS mount [CLOSED]

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
nkk64

Renaming file/folder fails on NFS mount [CLOSED]

Post by nkk64 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 pm

I have a NAS NFS share mounted (with options nosuid,bg,resvport,soft) and tried to rename folder located in this share.

I found that inline renaming works only for empty folder. If the folder is not empty, new empty folder is created with the new name and the original folder remains intact. Inline renaming of a simple file fails silently.

Of course renaming files/folders works for local filesystem. Also I can rename things inside that share using the good old midnight commander or finder app.
O
S version is 10.12.6 with Nimble Version 1.2.1 (2319)

Not that this bug bothers me much. I started using Nimble for a couple of days now and find it exactly what I was looking for - simple, fast, neat looking two-pane graphical file explorer supporting drag-drop. I can always resort back to mc for renaming inside nfs :D

Thanks for nice product,
Nick

mike

Re: Renaming file/folder fails on NFS mount

Post by mike » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:26 am

Hi nkk64 and welcome to the forum!

I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior.
Just checked it on my setup, my share was mounted with (nfs, nodev, nosuid).
I'm not an expert on NFS protocol, but generally speaking NC uses the same POSIX function to perform renaming as MC does.

So, my suggestions on the issue:
- check the behavior with the latest build.
- if the issue still persists - please share any additional details so I can try to reproduce it on my site.

nkk64

Re: Renaming file/folder fails on NFS mount

Post by nkk64 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 am

After restarting NAS (forgot that even linux may need restart once in a year) I am unable to reproduce it myself.

Sorry for taking your time and thank you again for a nice app.