Go > Go to Folder... should have autocomplete

Any wishes
adamtwar

Go > Go to Folder... should have autocomplete

Post by adamtwar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:20 am

Go > Go to Folder... should have autocomplete. When I type "/" there, or "../" or "~" and continue typing, it should present a dropdown of folders and allow to autocomplete with tab

sasha

Re: Go > Go to Folder... should have autocomplete

Post by sasha » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 pm

I agree. @adamtwar describes Finder's behavior which I also prefer. In this case, NC often needs more keystrokes and is less flexible. Example:

Let's say you want to go to some folder in your home starting with "D". In both, Finder and NC, you press Cmd+Shift+G, then type "~/D", then press Tab (in Finder, you can also just wait a moment without pressing Tab). In both, a dropdown list appears. Then they differ:

In Finder:
Finder.png
Finder.png (16.28 KiB) Viewed 5631 times
- first element in list is auto-completed
- AND a selection is created, covering the substring beginning one character after the D to the end. This is useful! Now you can either use arrow keys OR continue typing "esktop" or "ocuments"...
- selection is confirmed with Tab
- command is executed with Enter

in NC:
NC.png
NC.png (17.88 KiB) Viewed 5631 times
- no element pre-selected
- you can use arrow keys, but if you want to continue typing, you can't just type "ocuments" to get to Documents, you would have to start with the "D" again
- selection is confirmed with Enter (not Tab), that's not conforming to UI expectations
- command is executed with Enter